Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So what's wrong with GMOs?

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:29 PM
  • 239 Replies
1 mom liked this

Bill Nye actually EXPLAINS GMO's in his own unique style.

GMO is an umbrella term. There are many methods of genetic modification (RNA inhibiting, transgene insertion, upregulation and downregulation, etc etc.) I think many people fail to realize this and think it has something to do with only pesticides/herbicides.

There is no longer a debate among the scientific community about the safety of GMO's, and there has not been for years. Every major scientific organization worldwide has issued statements affirming the safety of GMO's. There was recently a study of over one hundred billion animals over thirty years, measuring any changes in the animals as their meals shifted to GMO's. (Spoiler: no change. GMO's are the same as plants made through breeding.)

The reason why there still seems to be a debate is that the media portrays it that way. Against the thousands of studies showing that GMO's are safe, there have been a handful of studies suggesting otherwise, but none of them are rigorous and all have been called into question.

Remember, breeding (which anti-GMO people think is just fine) is mixing up a ton of genes in an unpredictable manner, and it is not tested or regulated. GMO's are very carefully changed, tested thoroughly, and regulated for safety.

Edit: As many people have pointed out, I have only addressed the nutritional concerns for GMO's. There are other important questions that need discussed, that I don't have answers to yet. For example:

What effects do GMO's have on the environment? Can they grow wild if the seeds spread? Can they crossbreed with native plants?

Do farmers use more or less pesticides and herbicides using GMO's compared to standard bred crops?

Is it right that big companies can patent strains of GMO's?

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:32 PM
My biology professor claims gmos are perfectly safe.
Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:33 PM

I have no idea. I always just hear how awful they are, lol.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:33 PM
4 moms liked this
I give no shits about GMOs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:34 PM
Because according to some on cm, they mutate York brain intoushrooms...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

http://www.organicauthority.com/foodie-buzz/eight-reasons-gmos-are-bad-for-you.html

lilblu399
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:34 PM
5 moms liked this
Gmos could be a helpful tool to mankind, but my issue is not them but who "owns" them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:34 PM
Everything is bad these days so fuck gmos.
CountryStrong84
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:34 PM
19 moms liked this
Only the fact that companies refuse to label their products that contain GMOS. If there is no harm then why not tell comsumers what they are actually consuming?
StoicLife
by Katerina on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:34 PM
Ahh the hipsters in town are obsessed with this topic. Lol
Twiceblessedmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I lol'ed, my dd refuses to eat potatoes, even fries, because of GMO's, lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)