Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Standing Around the Coffin Texting .....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies

We all know cell phones and devices have invaded every corner of everyday life .... people talk/text/chat/like/tweet etc everywhere while doing everything. People are on them in churches, doctor offices, in class, in bed, everywhere.

The last 2 funerals I attended were not people very close to me. But when that time does come .... I think I will be upset about what I saw people doing at these funerals.

A woman texting up at the casket. A person answering their cell phone at the casket. People shuffling thru phone photos at the casket, laughing and talking. People posing and taking pictures in front of or near the casket.

Is this normal, acceptable behavior now?

Will it or has it bothered you?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blessbest
by KristinMom on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:13 PM
United States Of America!!!

Home of the free...
But it shows no respect Imo
miss-karla
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:13 PM
Not acceptable. Show respect
TheLadyAmalthea
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
A selfie with the person in the coffin? That's when you start taking phones at the door. If they can't do without a phone, they have to leave. A funeral is not the place to play with a phone.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:16 PM
If people can leave their phones alone during a movie, they can do so at a funeral ffs...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I hate cell phones and the idiots they have made people become. I wish they'd all just stop working.

rebeccasmommy09
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:17 PM
That is very disrespectful. Thankfully we haven't experienced that (we've had 2 close family members die in the last 2-3 years) but we also didn't really have many young people attending. Was it the younger crowd acting that way?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:18 PM

We are becoming more accepting of less and less respect in general. This doesn't surprise me, but yes it would upset me. 

lucille.bluth
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:18 PM
That's crazy. I just went to a funeral and my sibling rode with me. We all left our phones in the car. I guess our mom raised us better than some other people.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:21 PM

IMO the practice of laying a dead body out for everyone to gawk at is weird, period. And if I think about it a certain way, I feel it's a bit disrespectful as well. I think it's definitely rude to answer a call, but as for the pictures, I mean, why not? The body is there, right? If they're not mocking the deceased then so be it.

angie729
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:21 PM

I think it is very disrespectful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)