• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you help yourself to your kids' money?

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:56 PM
  • 78 Replies
At work, I see people come in and take money out of accounts they opened for their kids or close them to get the money after they've drained their own accounts.
I personally couldn't do that. But I'm interested in your opinions. Discuss.
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:57 PM
If its not the kid's money, but is just in the kids name, I don't see anything wrong with that at all.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:58 PM

not in less absolutely necessary

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Never.

If we had some sort of financial crisis maybe I would. It would have to be BAAAAAAD though. Like if maybe I needed to put food on the table I could see using the money.

Thankfully we've never had such a crisis and probably won't in the future, so it's a non issue.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:58 PM
Never. We have never needed to take money from our girls accounts. We only put money into them.
Isaacsmom913
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this
No. The $$ that goes into our sons account was given to HIM from
Birth, birthdays, Christmas etc. its HIS.
LyTe684
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this
This.

P.S. yay blueeee! :)

Quoting Danesmommy1: Never.

If we had some sort of financial crisis maybe I would. It would have to be BAAAAAAD though. Like if maybe I needed to put food on the table I could see using the money.

Thankfully we've never had such a crisis and probably won't in the future, so it's a non issue.
Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:02 PM

My mom used to do that to me when I was kid. I remember when I was 20 we went together to buy me my first car. Well I knew over the years that I had savings bonds that were matured and worth over 2 grand. Yeah it turned out my mom cashed most of them in. Even though she took my money to pay bills, buy me something that cs didn't cover, she paid me back. 

januaryqueen
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:04 PM
Not custodial accounts.

Quoting Anonymous 1: If its not the kid's money, but is just in the kids name, I don't see anything wrong with that at all.
spooky415
by Emerald Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:04 PM
When we were broke any money he got had to go to bills. We would pay stuff up in advance or rent so we had a tiny bit of padding in case anything happened.

We have more than replaced it since we gained financial stability.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:06 PM
My mom used to do it to me. Only she never paid me back. She even took my cash once as a kid and brought my sister and her friends pizza. Told me I couldn't have a slice because it was for my sister and her friends.

Quoting Jamie1972:

My mom used to do that to me when I was kid. I remember when I was 20 we went together to buy me my first car. Well I knew over the years that I had savings bonds that were matured and worth over 2 grand. Yeah it turned out my mom cashed most of them in. Even though she took my money to pay bills, buy me something that cs didn't cover, she paid me back. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)