• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please tell me Im not the only one

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:08 PM
  • 6 Replies
Hello mommies,
I have a 15 month old daughter, and i have a friend that i have been cool with since 9th grade. Well we both have kids. She has a 2 and a half yr old son. We hang out multiple times a week, and we are both single moms, so its always just us and the kids. Well, her son i havent known a long time at all. (She moved to another state while pregnant, and came back down locally when he was around the age he is now. )And boy, let me tell ya. Kid is horrible. I try to do play dates and mommy/kid outtings with her and her son all the time. He is a vicious cry baby. Not one time can we stay anywhere too long without him throwing a huge embarrassing tantrum, forcing us to leave. He doesnt share, wont communicate when needed, is scared of everyone and makes the simpest tasks so hard. He can barely talk, but can curse, and frankly to me should be a little more seasoned than he is. While my daughter (younger than him by a bit) is appoachable, lively, happy and just a smiley baby. The contrast is very noticeable. Her (my friend) on the other hand notices her sons behavior and gets noticeably irritable about it, but gives in to all his wants of candy and what nots, and never really disciplines him like he should be. Which gets very annoying. She is my friend, and she is cool, and i dont want to tell her how to treat her son, but i dont want my daughter learning that behavior, or him to keep ruining our good times. How should i tell her this without being so mean, or overbearing.
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MagicMary
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:22 PM

If you really feel like it's harming how your daughter acts, maybe just keep it to mom on mom time and not include the kids so much? Or do only things with the kids you know he could behave for, something very busy and fun?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:27 PM
I don't know. I haven't been in that place.

But my nephew is a lil hard to control when his mom or dad isn't around. Well when my three sister in laws and my mother in law went to go get there nails done they left mj with hubby his dad papa anna and I. Well travis john and joseph had to go out side to do a few things and I was in the house with anna and mj. OMG can I say my nephew doesn't listen that well. Cause he kept jumping on to the mattresses that hubby and I slept on in the living room. Well I had to repeat my self and to tell him to stop well he didn't I had to tell him do you want me to go out side and get your dad. Your dad will not be happy.
maecntpntz219
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Whatever you do, don't blame her. It doesn't sound like she's helping her son's behavior but that doesn't necessarily mean she's the cause of it. She may be so stressed out that she just doesn't know what else to do but give in. You got lucky that you have an easy child, don't give all the credit to your good parenting. Not all kids, particularly boys, are as easy going regardless of the type of parenting they receive and I can only imagine it's 10x harder to deal with a stubborn, headstrong child being a single mom. Maybe offer to help her or give gentle advice before you just write her and her kid off.

JanineDeer
by Janine on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:33 PM

And that is how future crimals are made. Yes, not born always.. but made just like this. Wow.   It might hurt her feelings, but you should suggest she get some parenting classes if she can. 

I could not have bratty kids be my children's friends, no you can't.

leggomypreggo33
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:40 PM
no, im deff not saying i have such good parenting. But when my daughter cuts up, theres consequences and i nip in the bed in a hurry. She doesnt act up in public, its mostly in her own setting, in her own house she gets a little rowdy. But never to his extreme at all, and nothing you cant tame. Its obvious we both have different parenting skills though. I would never let my daughter get away with what her son does, but again thats her child not mine.
Abigailhayden
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Imo I see no way for you to bring this up without offending her and causing a problem with your friendship.

People get super pissed when their parenting is criticised.

Maybe just get together when it's just mom's.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)