Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm really disappointed with our fire department!

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:35 PM
  • 11 Replies
When I got to my kids school this afternoon the fire alarm was going off. One of the administrators was outside with a megaphone letting the parents know the kids where safe on the playground and that a lighting fixture in the office shorted and was smoking which set off the fire alarm. According to a friend who works in the cafeteria from the time it went off until I sent her a text saying the fire trucks where there it had been going off for 30 minuets. I know I stood outside the school for 20 minuets before they got there. It is not that far from the school to the fire station it takes 20 minuets to walk there from the school with 50 kindergartners. I can't belivev they took so long.
It's a good thing there wasn't an actual active fire but they didn't know that!
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:36 PM

do you have an active department, or volunteer, or paid on call or what?  that really matters when it comes to response times.  you'd also have to know what other emergencies they were already called out on and what their level is, as well as how many rigs vs. how many calls they had at that time.

you can't squeeze blood from a turnip.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:38 PM
Don't get upset till you know there is something to be upset about, maybe they were alerted that it was a false alarm
JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:39 PM
Volunteer houses take a lot longer. And, its possible the school called to report the false alarm.
LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:40 PM
We have several actual fire stations where the firefighters live 4 days at a time they work a 4 on 4 off schedual. All of our fire fighters are paid and if the close station was busy there are at least 2 within a few miles.
Ralgj
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:41 PM
I wouldnt like it either.
LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:42 PM
We don't have volunteers here. All the fire stations are manned 24/7 by paid firefighters

Quoting JDmommyJD: Volunteer houses take a lot longer. And, its possible the school called to report the false alarm.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:42 PM
I'm sure they knew it wasn't a real fire.
JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:44 PM
Oh. Well in that case, let's hope they were alerted!

Quoting LCWAmommy: We don't have volunteers here. All the fire stations are manned 24/7 by paid firefighters

Quoting JDmommyJD: Volunteer houses take a lot longer. And, its possible the school called to report the false alarm.
LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:44 PM
It wasn't false alarm there was small electrical fire in the office. If the fire alarm goes off the school is evacuated and the fire station is alerted automatically.

Quoting peanutsmommy1: Don't get upset till you know there is something to be upset about, maybe they were alerted that it was a false alarm
mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:45 PM

Maybe there was an actual fire they were attending to?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)