Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you punish your children because of their bad grade(s)?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 58 Replies

Just wondering. Honestly I don't because one DS 11 has dyslexia he has trouble with reading and math and he's been studying really hard when he gets home and I help him with his studies, he makes B's and C's and he's really trying hard. He got mad when he got an F in math and I told him it's okay try harder. I also have DD 8 and she makes straight A's and she's the top of her class I'm proud of her and she did made a B on her test and she fears that I would punish her I did not B is a good grade. I don't want them to be lazy though, I want them to put effort no matter what the outcome is. I don't punish them because of their grades I punish them when they get in trouble like fighting, acting out, or breaking stuff. My children are good children and they studied really hard. My brother is hard on his DD 10 and if she gets a B she's grounded for a week, he graduated from Yale and wants her to go to an Ivy League school. My niece looks miserable he won't let her have fun at all and when she comes over my house she's happy and plays with my children and my brother can be an asshole when she was having fun. Are you strict when it comes to your children's grade? Do you punish your children if they didn't make what you wanted them to make? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:28 PM

BUMP!

kee1006b
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:29 PM

If she doesn't do her homework or doesn't try, yes

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:29 PM
No. We get them help.
emandab
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:30 PM
2 moms liked this

When the bad grades are a direct result of putting forth no effort? Yes.  You are in trouble.  However if I see studying and completed homework and I know a good effort was put in, then no.  just more encouragement and help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:30 PM
If they don't turn something in, or they didn't study like they should have, heck yeah.

DD knows I'm online checking her grades! I know before she does usually. She knows she'll be held accountable.
Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:30 PM

No, never had to.

Although my oldest son came to me very upset today.  He has never gotten below a B in any of his classes.  He is in advanced/honors algebra this years (freshman) and his grade is going to be a B- for this semester.  I don't know if I should punish or not.  He is not having trouble with the work and he knows how important this class is in order to start his prerequisites for college for the degree he wants next year.  This is our first time dealing with this so I'm on the fence.  Me and my dh are going to talk about it tonight.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:30 PM

Yes I do. My kids are smart so once their grades start to slip or they keep bringing home bad grades they get a spanking. They also get put on punishment till they bring up their grades or they will receive some more swats and a longer grounding. 

constantg
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:30 PM

I'll punish for no or limited effort. Not every child is capable of straight As

lapcounter
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:31 PM

Quoting kee1006b:

If she doesn't do her homework or doesn't try, yes

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:31 PM
No, I just signed the papers for Dd 7 to be tested. What were the signs for dyslexia? Ds 13 gets A's & B's I'm happy with that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)