Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School these days are too lax! Do you agree?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies

Okay our dd is in grade K. And ever since my dd started going to school all day I have noticed that school have gotten way too lax since i have been in school and I graduated ten years ago!

For example our dd gotten two weeks off for CHRISTMAS break. When I went to school it was one week tops.

DD has no school tommorrow because it was cancelled due to it being too cold. I remember when I was in school that one time we had no running water, no electricity and no heat and we still had school and we couldnt wear our coats because it was against school policy.

DD gets three choices to pick from off the menu. When I went to school it was one choice and you could eat it or starve.

DD get off of school for every gosh darn holiday ever invented. When I was in school we were lucky if we got off the major holidays.

My dh and I agree that schools are way too lax these days? Do you agree? And did you notice any big changes since when you went to school to when your dd or ds goes to school?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:45 PM
16 moms liked this
Did you used to have to walk to school shoeless, in the snow, up hill both ways?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I dont think you know what lax means..

the_dude
by abides on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:47 PM

Then homeschool.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:47 PM
The schools here run pretty much as they always have. (Since I was a child anyway) they do have a much bigger lunch selection in the younger grades.
MagicMary
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I absolutely agree. Mine is in K as well and his scehdule still looks and feels like a preschool. He's coloring all day, doing the exact same worksheets all year long so far, cutting and pasting, he's not really learning anything at all, I hate it.

I teach him a hell of alot more at home.

the_dude
by abides on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:48 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I dont think you know what lax means..

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:48 PM
2 moms liked this
I did, and carried potatoes in my pockets. Did a paper route, too, Sunday paper every day.

Quoting Danesmommy1: Did you used to have to walk to school shoeless, in the snow, up hill both ways?
lapcounter
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:48 PM
I think they get way too much time off. And canceling school because it's too cold seems silly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robin-Christine
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:49 PM

I grew up in the 70's and went to Catholic schools. Before Catholic schools did what they needed to do to get government funding we got off all the majot saints days as well as the big holidays.My son just had 16 days of for Christmas including weekends. School was closed today for weather. For lunch he has 2 main choices as well as PBJ and a salad bar. This is high school. I agree with the poicies so many kids walk and I am guessing parents do not know what their kids are doing. For example before break I saw a gal no older than 6th grade with a short dress wrapped in a blanket no coat walking to school.

JaeMommy07
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:49 PM

Quite the opposite here. Kids only get major holidays off (which aren't really a lot), school lunch isn't provided at all so parents must supply lunch, kids go to school in almost all weather (my dd is in kindergarten and they go outside in the cold and snow).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)