Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is my kid a wacko?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies
Ok so my ss is turning 16 in two weeks. I think he's nuts but maybe I'm too judgmental. He sings when he walks down the street and around our neighborhood -- out loud! All the time! He talks to himself in a loud voice all day- in his bathroom and bedroom and sometimes even in front of us. He doesn't care. And when we asked him what he wanted for his 16th birthday celebration we gave him a ton of choices like having friends over or having friends go out to see a movie or bowling or paint balling... And he chose to golf for the day with just his dad. I don't believe he has any friends...

So is it me, or is this kid a little off center??
I know you'll all be brutally honest and I can't go to friends or family with my concerns...
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 7, 2015 at 7:37 AM
Bump!
Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 7:39 AM

Hard to say without meeting him. Those things could be totally normal or really weird.

STVUstudent
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, he may just be introverted.  He may BE nuts- most people do not go around expressing their internal monologe out loud... but as for the golf with dad, that is pretty special... and it may be saying that what he wants most is more time with his dad...

maureen813
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 7:42 AM
I am a clinical therapist. I work with children and adolescents within schools, homes and a large outpatient clinic. There really is nothing you have shared that would be a red flag fir me, he sounds quirky! What are his grades like? Any concerns shared by his school? Does he have friends that he spends time with in school or the neighborhood?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 7, 2015 at 7:43 AM
My little sisters and their friends randomly break out in song like we're living in highschool musical. Lol
malissaL
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 7:43 AM
Lol..he sounds like a goofball. Maybe he loves to sing. He obviously likes attention. Nothing wrong with what he picked to do for his birthday, I don't know that many 16 year olds that like to golf.
Valentina327
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 7:47 AM
Definitely an odd duck ... psycho? Probably not.
I think the golf thing is sweet!
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 7, 2015 at 7:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe a little eccentric, there are worse things he could be. Accept his quirks.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 7, 2015 at 9:04 AM
His grades are fine he's pretty much an A/B student with the occasional C. He does not have many friends - and has admitted to us the kids at school think he's strange. I guess I just don't know too many 16-year-old boys if given the chance want to spend their birthday with one of their parents instead of with friends??

Quoting maureen813: I am a clinical therapist. I work with children and adolescents within schools, homes and a large outpatient clinic. There really is nothing you have shared that would be a red flag fir me, he sounds quirky! What are his grades like? Any concerns shared by his school? Does he have friends that he spends time with in school or the neighborhood?
dragonborn
by Wonderstruck on Jan. 7, 2015 at 9:06 AM
I sing out loud and talk to myself frequently. He sounds like my kind of kid.
And golf with dad sounds special.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)