Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age do you expect your kid to get themselves up and out the door for school?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies

My dd is almost 12.  She has an alarm...but I make sure she is up.  I also ask if she has everything and make sure she is out the door on time.  

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:07 PM

I think 12ish sounds about right.

DallasCowboys81
by Don't live in Texas! on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:08 PM
My kids do it on their own. But I do work so it has helped grow them up a bit.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:08 PM
I would say 12. I was up and out of bed by 6am for school. Bus comes at 7am. I got my self up when I first started middle school. If I wasn't up on time it was because of power outage.
702girly
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:08 PM

I make sure they actually go to school through high school. I consider that my job as a parent. 

littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:09 PM

My DS is 17 and gets himself up and ready but I still wake up and tell him I love him and to have a good day. It's not hard LOL

Spam72
by Emerald Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:10 PM
College. My kids needed reminders in high school.
tntmomof2
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:10 PM

I was always up with them to see them off and make breakfast but both of mine got themselves up, dressed, packed and ready on their own at around 10. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:10 PM

I work as well. But her bus comes super early.  So she leaves a few minutes before I leave.  But even if I am off that day and she isn't...I still get up and get her to school...or dh does.  We don't leave it to her. 

Quoting DallasCowboys81: My kids do it on their own. But I do work so it has helped grow them up a bit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:11 PM

my son just turned 12 years old. I wake him up every morning. make sure he is up and getting dressed, but then go back to bed. he knows how to get ready on his own and walk himself to the bus stop. he's been doing it on his own a good 2 years now. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:12 PM
I think it's a continuum as they grow. From making sure they're dressed, eat breakfast. . . To just making sure they're gone on time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)