Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The tyranny of the home-cooked family dinner

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:46 PM
  • 32 Replies

This columnist argues that home cooked meals are romanticized and overrated, and the health benefits may not be worth the stress they cause for women.

www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/...

"While cooking "is at times joyful," they argue, the main reason that people see cooking mostly as a burden is because it is a burden. It's expensive and time-consuming and often done for a bunch of ingrates who would rather just be eating fast food anyway."

The author sites a study stating that cooking is stressful for women due to time constraints, finances, and picky men and kids.

Do you agree with this article? If home cooking isn't a viable solution to our health crisis, what alternatives are there?

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bonberi
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:47 PM
I fucking hate cooking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunsetchick34
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:48 PM
I disagree but that's probably because I enjoy cooking n my family appreciates home cooked meals.
kee1006b
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:49 PM
2 moms liked this

Not only is it healthier to use fresh ingredients, it helps build relationships too.  My hubby dd and I are always in the kitchen together during cooking time.  It starts us on our dinner conversation.  Which tonight consisted of my dd asking why, if people truly wanted a healthy child regardless of gender, are people bent out of shape when their child comes out as transgender?

ZombieMeat37
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:50 PM
That's not how it is in my house. Lol
Cooking isn't stressful but I actually enjoy doing it.
auntietotty
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:50 PM

While I dont particularly like cooking (except holiday meals and baking), I still do it because I dont like fast food. Thankfully, my husband loves to cook and is good at it...and does it often. 

No one in my house has ever been picky.

Manic_Sinner
by ✨Makeup Momma✨ on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:51 PM
I disagree. I enjoy cooking.
imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:51 PM
Well i mean without the whole article its tough to agree or disagree

But....

Now that my kids are 9,11 and 14 it has become increasingly harder to cook large indepth meals. Instead we opt for quick and healthy.

While it was fun whn they were little to make elaborate french and asian cuisine , its no longer fun and far to hard to find the time
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:51 PM
I love cooking, it's relaxing for me. And I don't stress of the price of ingredients. And I'm over weight on part because eof how much fast food I ate growing up, and high school and college, and because I was too busy to make my lunch for work and would live on fast food. My kids deserve the best, so I cook for them. They are 5 and 7 and have had fast food maybe 3 times, that's not however including the monthly family pizza night. Anyways I love cooking and I'm not going to feed my kids over processed food just because it's more convenient
AppleJaxx
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:52 PM
I love cooking! Its my stress relief
SommelierMom
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I cook for my family because I know I can do it better than anyone else can.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)