Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advise....should I do this??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

I'm going to make a long story short.  I am trying to start up an in home daycare.  Not liscensed but don't need to as long as I don't take in 8,000 kids like most places in my area.  I already have two very part time after school kids (about 10 days a month).  My friend asked me if I would be willing to take on her friend's daughter two days a week.  This is the thing...the daughter is 18 with cerebral palsy.  Now many years ago I worked with disabled people in their homes doing light cleaning, meal prep, and just company.  I really liked it.  I asked my friend if the mom would have an issue with me having no training.  She said that I should contact her on FB and that the daughter can walk and talk but she has problems with stairs (no problem in my home as everything she would need is on main floor) and she likes to watch Callou and play cards.

I really want to get more children as I love children and want to run a daycare for children but I also want to help out this woman in need.  I have 3 kids of my own with only the 2 year old at home during school hours.  My mother, who lives with me says I shouldn't do it.  That I should focus on kids and that it might not be good for the 18 year old girl with all the kids (mine and hopefully others soon) running around and being loud.  I don't know why my mother thinks this but she is making me doubt what to do.  I have not had the chance to talk with my DH yet.

Question is: would you do it? 

P.S. This got longer than I wanted!  Thanks!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AppleJaxx
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I would not start an unlicensed daycare and I would not have a daycare, licensed or not where there was an 18 year old with special needs AND young children. I don't think it would would work out well, for several reasonboth ages would need a lot of attention, and different, atyention. And the 18 year old should be with people her own age, or somewhere where she is being stimulated, and a bunch of toddlers probably won't do that. And just the logistics of hacing to care for a full grown sn adult and young children
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:13 PM

Thank you for your opinion.

Quoting AppleJaxx: I would not start an unlicensed daycare and I would not have a daycare, licensed or not where there was an 18 year old with special needs AND young children. I don't think it would would work out well, for several reasons

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:15 PM
Pick one or the other.sounds like a bad idea
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:16 PM

Thank you.  

Quoting Anonymous 2: Pick one or the other.sounds like a bad idea

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I would focus on starting your daycare for children. Getting kids there, getting your license eventually, etc. Taking a SN adult is not only a hindrance to that but a huge liability.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:19 PM

Thank you.  I do want to get liscensed eventually.  There is A LOT to it.  I can see your point.  I'm not trained for SN kids or adults.  

Quoting quickbooksworm: I would focus on starting your daycare for children. Getting kids there, getting your license eventually, etc. Taking a SN adult is not only a hindrance to that but a huge liability.

w8ing4happydays
by Emerald Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:22 PM

It depends on the extent. Idk if everyone with CP is the same way. I have a cousin with CP and shes is amazing, I wouldnt even know she had it, except we've known her since she was a newborn.

I would try to figure out how much extra care the 18yo in question is going to need and if I have the ability to balance everyone out. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:26 PM

I got the feeling she doesn't need a lot of help.  She has a hard time with stairs but if she likes to watch Callou I wonder about her mental ability.  Not saying just because she watches cartoons that she is decreased that way but the way it was said to me makes me wonder.  I'm not sure if I can handle that.  I am so torn.  Thank you for your reply.

Quoting w8ing4happydays:

It depends on the extent. Idk if everyone with CP is the same way. I have a cousin with CP and shes is amazing, I wouldnt even know she had it, except we've known her since she was a newborn.

I would try to figure out how much extra care the 18yo in question is going to need and if I have the ability to balance everyone out. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:35 PM

Mobile Photo

Have you looked into the specifics for your area about how many kids you can take in? In my area there are limits in how many families and kids you can take in unlicensed.

There are different guidelines per area. Here is an example of one area.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 7, 2015 at 8:14 AM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)