Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much do you expect people to spend on your child?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies

DD was invited to a a little girls bday. shes not in this girls class but they play on the same basketball team. they didnt know each other until the end of October but shes a really sweet girl and DD really likes her. And her mom is always offering to take my DD and others on the team to out of town games and such to save gas or if parents cant make it due to work or whatever. my point is that we really like them and i dont want to be too cheap or offend them somehow. 

but im curious what a good price range is for a birthday gift for a 7 year old. I plan to just give my DD the money and let her pick the gift obviously but i dont want to spend too little and it be cheap or offend them but i dont want to spend so much that its "too much for a 7 year old" if that makes sense. 

also knowing my DD shell be really drawn to the books, coloring books/paint, art stuff as part of the gift. ive been told my DD is a nerd so for the sake of conversation- are these things still a hit with the younger kids? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:59 PM
$20- that's what I spend and not what I expect others to spend on mine. (just to clarify)
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:00 AM
I'd say $25 or so is good amount to spend for a gift for a 7yo.
bcoll
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:00 AM
I don't expect gifts for them at all. We spend around $40 on classmate presents.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:00 AM
Idk, maybe $20?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:01 AM
I do $25.
SamiJ18
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:03 AM
$0

I usually budget $10-$20 depending on the month for birthday gifts.
CookiMakinMomma
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:05 AM
I think any gift is generous. I would spend $15-$20
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:05 AM
We spend around $20-$25 on classmates. I've never put any thought into how much people spend on my child.
Marie207
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:06 AM

Yes they are.  Your daughter is not a nerd, she is a smart kid, that God, there are some out there.  I would spend about 25.00 and no more.  What about a nice paint set for the 7 year old birthday girl.  Tell your daughter to have fun.

adoptivemomof1
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:06 AM
Usually (we spend) $20-$30 or a bit more - depending on how well we know them....I consider any gift kind and never think about what others spend though...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)