Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what Would You Have Done? Am I a bad mom?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
We started fostering again. We were sent an11 year old girl. The first day we got her we found out she had lice. So we took care of it and moved on.after two weeks she visits mom and little sis at the courthouse gets lice back, we take care of it. Then you guessed it visits again lice again. We went to the doc each time she gets cleared blah blah. Then she goes to visit and little sisrter has scabies and open wounds they have close contact. At this point we ask dyfs to move her I have other kids. I don't want them exposed.
Scabies for those who don't know is a small under the skin parasite passed from close contact. I never brought her back to our home I just had them move her.soowhat would you have done? Am I as horrible as I felt or just protecting my kids? We had no control over her re exposure and dyfs new each time.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:24 AM
3 moms liked this

I would have kept the child because it isn't her fault. You should have filed a complaint against DYFS beause they allowed this to continue in the other household

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:26 AM
Bringing her to my home exposed my kids who thank goodness didn't get the lice but this was a little too much for us. Where would you draw the line?
embrigmom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Not sure what I would do. I'd feel bad about asking her to be placed in a new foster home beause I wouldn't want her to be bounced around. I'd be worried about where her younger sister is that she kept having lice (was it ever treated?) and then scabbies. But if there was no way I could stop rexposer, I think in the end I would do the samething you did. I also have two kids and wouldn't want to have to worry about what eles would be brought home after these visits.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:30 AM
Quoting embrigmom:

Not sure what I would do. I'd feel bad about asking her to be placed in a new foster home beause I wouldn't want her to be bounced around. I'd be worried about where her younger sister is that she kept having lice (was it ever treated?) and then scabbies. But if there was no way I could stop rexposer, I think in the end I would do the samething you did. I also have two kids and wouldn't want to have to worry about what eles would be brought home after these visits.

It was exhausting protecting my kids from the lice I couldn't risk scabies. I was already washing all her stuff separate and her bedding daily this was just too much
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:35 AM

I would not toss a child out because of lice.  Poor girl.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:45 AM
Quoting Anonymous 2:

I would not toss a child out because of lice.  Poor girl.  

It wasn't the lice it was scabies that finally pushed the limit for us
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:52 AM
As a mother concerned about your kids, you did the right thing. Scabies is a nasty parasite that I personally thought only older people got. I feel bad for the child but Dfs should do something about that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:54 AM
You draw the line with the people in charge not the little girl.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Bringing her to my home exposed my kids who thank goodness didn't get the lice but this was a little too much for us. Where would you draw the line?
jjames1990
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:55 AM
You should have complained. Her case worker would have stopped visitation until lice and scabies were clear. And obviously the other children in the mothers care are being neglected and they need to know that.
PacMan80
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:56 AM

Honestly, as bad as I would have felt, I would have done the same thing.  The thought of lice freak me out and I wouldn't want to have to deal with them continuously and possibly supposing my other kids to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)