Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm such a hypocrite

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:00 AM
  • 8 Replies
My BFF brings her girls to my house in the morning, she has to leave early so I drive them to school. Well, this morning I could tell something was up with her 11 (12 in a few months) year old. She didn't want to eat breakfast and was really snippy with me. She finally broke down and told me she's not eating because she wants to be thin like the other girls in her class.

We had a long conversation about loving your body and being healthy, the effects of anorexia, and we decided we would get some exercise together, find healthy recipes and all that good stuff. I told her she can come to me and, as long as I don't feel that she's going to hurt herself, that it would stay between us.

Here's why I'm a raging hypocrite- I hate my body. I hate the weight I am now, I'm never satisfied with where it is and I've skipped meals a lot just to see the scale move. I know how to eat healthy, I lost 50 pounds in 2010, 30 something after having my son in 2011, all without skipping meals, but I just get in a rush to lose.

It was so hard finding the right words to say to her.
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
wilky5
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I think that most of us moms will have to deal with this. I think you said the right things to her and maybe you'll find a way to be more comfortable with yourself as you're working with her.
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, I don't think that makes you a hypocrite as much as it makes you a better person to talk to about stuff because you can be honest. Who knows, maybe helping her will help you too. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:21 AM

I think a lot of us struggle with the same thing when we have to talk to our daughters about that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:24 AM
"Do as I say not as I do."

As long as your teaching her the right way then that's all that matters.

How does skipping meals really reflect on the scale!? I have been skipping so many meals lately, not on purpose though. I never eat breakfast, ever and lately have been eating very little. I never see it reflect anywhere lol.
I always hear of people saying that skipping meals or basically starving themselves does make them lose weight. Don't they say when you skip meals your body goes into starvation mode so the next time you do eAt anything it sticks to you because your body stores it?
DallasCowboys81
by Don't live in Texas! on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:24 AM
Goof for you to help her. Maybe it was a way to help yourself also. Things are sometimes hidden. Need to look beyond what's being said. Maybe you feeling the way you do, and her feeling the way she does. Its a way to get you both healthy and in a better place with yourself.
TresHijas111825
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:25 AM
I think that most women struggle with self image issues...  having you to talk to can help her...and maybe help you too.
xFaithx123
by Caris on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:30 AM
I think you did right thing here and said the right thing . This girl needs someone to trust and confidine in that is you . Wasn't like you are anorexic right now and encouraging her eat fatty foods , while she sees you starve yourself feel better . So even if it was little bit being hyprocrite it was right way to be for the situation .
UxorQuodMatris.
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:31 AM
I lose weight pretty fast, so if I eat a moderately healthy breakfast and lunch and then skip dinner, I lose up to five pounds in just a few days. So the irrational part of me rationalizes that if I just eat breakfast, I'll lose even more. It's an awful process and just has me yo-yo'ing on the scale.

I just get impatient.

Quoting Anonymous 2: "Do as I say not as I do."

As long as your teaching her the right way then that's all that matters.

How does skipping meals really reflect on the scale!? I have been skipping so many meals lately, not on purpose though. I never eat breakfast, ever and lately have been eating very little. I never see it reflect anywhere lol.
I always hear of people saying that skipping meals or basically starving themselves does make them lose weight. Don't they say when you skip meals your body goes into starvation mode so the next time you do eAt anything it sticks to you because your body stores it?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)