Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do you think of this punishment?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
my brother and his wife are punishing their 8yo like this and I don't think I agree....

My niece is 16 and is working on a science fair project. Last weekend she spent roughly 16 hours Saturday and Sunday building a diorama. I don't know exactly what it is but my brother said there were lots of small pieces and painting and stuff. She was doing it in one of the basement rooms and her parents told her brothers and sister 10, 7 and 6 that it was strictly off limits

Well, the 7yo took that as a forbidden fruit thing. Somehow she spilled paint all over it, and in the process of trying to clean it broke it even further, she was covered in paint so he obviously couldn't lie and fessed up

My brother and SIL decided her punishment will be that every time time she's working on it, she'll have to sit silently at the kitchen table and write out "I will not be disrespectful and will listen to my parents". Over and over. So, he's going to be writing for like 16 hours, but if she works for 4 hours in a row, that's 4 hours of her sitting still, silently, writing lines.

To me, I don't know. Seems very very harsh. Her sister was so upset and told her to get away from her, she cried. That seems like punishment in itself.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:30 AM

Another one of these older sibling vs. younger sibling posts?? I can't take it anymore.

2kids2dogs2cats
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:31 AM

It seems a bit over the top, but what can you do about it?  I imagine she won't touch it again! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:31 AM

Yeah, that's overkill. Probably not very effective after a little while. They should make her help her sister.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:33 AM
Her sister said she didn't want her near her or her project, she doesn't trust her not to break it again.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Yeah, that's overkill. Probably not very effective after a little while. They should make her help her sister.

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:33 AM

I think making her sit their for hours is a little much, but she should be majorly punished. Feeling bad about it is not punishment. She is old enough to know better. She should be made to help re do/fix it.

kaybayblee3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:34 AM

That's a little bit too much in my opinion. I would make the kid go sit down there and clean and help her sister.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:34 AM
2 moms liked this
Seems fair. If her older sister isn't having any fun while redoing the work she ruined, she shouldn't be having any fun for those 16 hours either.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:36 AM

So? I don't let children dictate what goes on in my house. If I tell one to help the other, that's what's going to happen. Anyway, she doesn't have to be near it. She can run errands like getting more paint, towels, stand there with a fan, some lemonade and cookies...whatever it takes.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Her sister said she didn't want her near her or her project, she doesn't trust her not to break it again.
Quoting Anonymous 2:

DallasCowboys81
by Don't live in Texas! on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:38 AM
She's 7, she is testing her boundaries. The punishment is a little much. Maybe a hour of writing and the rest of the time something else. She will be in more trouble by the time sister is done with her project. Younger kids can not sit that long. 16hrs is allot of time to just sit and write.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:38 AM
Well I guess they didn't want to "punish" their older daughter by having her have to work with the kid who broke her original project for 2 days, so they went with this.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

So? I don't let children dictate what goes on in my house. If I tell one to help the other, that's what's going to happen. Anyway, she doesn't have to be near it. She can run errands like getting more paint, towels, stand there with a fan, some lemonade and cookies...whatever it takes.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Her sister said she didn't want her near her or her project, she doesn't trust her not to break it again.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)