Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Born January 6 brain surgery on January 10

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:04 AM
  • 194 Replies
39 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Meet my baby boy Ryder. He was diagnosed in utero with severe hydrocephalus and macrocephaly. He somehow managed to stay inside my womb until the scheduled c-section at 39 weeks gestation on January 6 at 3:41 pm. His measurements were 10pounds 2 oz, 21 inches long, with a head circumference of 51.5 cm.

My c-section scar is twice as long as the normal c-section scar in order for them to be able to pull him out. It runs the whole way across my hips and will always serve as a reminder of how large his head was when he was born and how he still survived.

When he was born and I looked over to him I was in shock at how large his head actually was. It was the size of a full grown adults head on an infants body. I was so scared for the pain he must have been in. They whisked him quickly away to the nicu through a window in the OR with only enough time to give us a quick look at our child.

He was born on a Tuesday and had brain surgery on Friday at 3 days old. They did not put a shunt in but did a newer surgery that created a pathway for the extra spinal fluid on his brain to be absorbed back into his body and they cauterized the part that was producing too much fluid. Thankfully the surgery went very well and his head size has shrunken a lot.

He is a fighter and has already proved the doctors wrong about him in so many ways. They said he wouldn't have the ability to suck or swallow and he is starting to breast feed and doing well with it. They said he might not be able to hear but he turns his head and looks at his mommy and daddy when we talk to him. They said he wouldn't have any finger dexterity but he is pulling the wires off his chest and almost pulled his ng tube completely out of his nose. They said his muscles would be weak but the other day I watched as he lifted his butt and back off the bed and pushed his entire body up to the top of the bed a few inches and he already tries to roll over AND despite his large head size he can move his head from side to side.

He's pretty amazing to me and I figured I would share his story with you all.
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pinktardis
by Pinky on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:07 AM
2 moms liked this
He's precious. You can already tell that he's got quite a personality! I hope that he recovers quickly!
craazycuckoo
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

He's trying to roll over and he's only a week old?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:08 AM
6 moms liked this
So awesome our god is!
smalltownteddy
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:08 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm glad he's doing so well. He's a cutie and you can see the oomph in him!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Wishing him a speedy recovery. He's adorable!
momofirish3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Congrats! He has the cutest face ever!
Krystle1216
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Congrats he's precious! The best of luck to him.
Yosoytumamii
by Mami on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Aww such a cutie. God bless him
lauren.m
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:11 AM
2 moms liked this
So glad he is doing so well. He's a cutie pie :) congrats!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:11 AM
Congrats! May I ask, do you know what causes this condition?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)