Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So family/friends/neighbors should give free childcare?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies

Spinoff of a couple of other posts. It seems like many think providing free care is normal? I have seen it on heet before and irl. Share your thoughts. Thanx

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:21 PM

I don't expect anything other than for my family to love my kids. My BIL and SIL happily watch my kids for free every now and then, just like I pick up my niece from school some days for them for free...we are a very close family and live a few houses away from each other. My mother and MIL will happily travel to GA from FL to watch my girls or my niece if we ask them to help us out. For instance, my mother comes up twice a year so I can work a consignment sale. She watches my girls for the times I am gone and loves every minute of it as my girls are homeschooled and she can spend all day with them. Our family is amazing. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

two4one
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:23 PM

According to some of these women, yes, lol. 

I look at it this way. My time is money. If you want me to do something for you on a regular basis, then you need to pay me for the time I take away from my regular life.

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:23 PM

I dont think anyone should be expected to watch anyone elses kids for free. Is it a nice thing to do for someone in need? Sure, but it isn't required.

pinkiepie2010
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:25 PM
I don't expect it, but my best friend and I have it set up as kinda like a trade off. I watch her girls for free and then if I need help she helps me watch mine. In February I will start getting paid through the state for watching them at certain times, but I don't expect it.
sarah824
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:27 PM

I don't think it is required nor do I think it should be expected. In our neighborhood we all help each other out with the kids and none of us charge each other unless it is going to be a set thing for several days/weeks at a time. I used to pay the one neighbor because she would have my kids 6-8 hours a day, 2-3 days a week. Of course I wouldn't expect that for free. But now that same neighbor will help me out on occasion if I am going to be late getting home or need someone to pick my son up from basketball periodically and she does not charge me. I would not charge her if she needed me to help her out either.

PacMan80
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:29 PM

I've never been asked to provide free daycare.  I would help a friend/neighbor out in a pinch, but never as a regular occurrence.  I'm too busy with my own kids.  The only people I expect to watch my kids for free are the grandparents.  

lilblu399
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:30 PM
Nope. I babysit for free sometimes but it's usually an emergency type thing. If someone wanted constant babysitting, they have to pay. When people watch my kids, I usually make some food or at least give them money for food/snacks since my 7yo eats a ton.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kee1006b
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I've paid my mother.  Deal we have is if she's watching dd because I have to work, I pay.  

Quoting PacMan80:

I've never been asked to provide free daycare.  I would help a friend/neighbor out in a pinch, but never as a regular occurrence.  I'm too busy with my own kids.  The only people I expect to watch my kids for free are the grandparents.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Absolutely not. If they offer, fine but don't expect it.

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Family, friends and neighbors on a once in a while occasion - Yes, I would always do it for free and expect the same.

Family, friends and neighbors doing it everyday while parent works no they need to pay an agreed upon amt. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)