Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

smokers!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies
I live in a townhouse. The people next door are constantly smoking. Honestly I don't really care, that is their problem not mine.
The HOA for the townhouses decided in October to repaint. Due to bad weather and the holidays they have finally reached the row that my house is in.
Here is my problem. The weather strip on my door is off because the painters are painting the door. They won't replace it until Friday morning. The smoke from next door is coming in my house. Should I say something to the smokers? My DH says it's rude to ask someone to not smoke on their porch. It is only a temporary problem. Should I just suck it up and deal with the smoke?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarbear8508
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't see you asking them not to smoke ending up on good terms. I would just get one of those things to shove under the door. It's just temporary.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Deal with it. I smoke I smoke outside and I would say that isn't my problem if you came to me.
oryxx31
by Captain Cook on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:55 PM
Maybe push a towel under the door, dorm room pot smoker style, lol? It will also help your utilities not to go as crazy since cold air won't be seeping in as fast.
janedoe13
by boxerdog lover on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:58 PM

as a smoker i see where you are coming from. if it were me and i was the smoker and it was bothering you i would want you to let me know it was bothering you. but i would want it done in a polite tone not a "hey your smoking bothers me you need to stop type voice" just talk to them and let them know that while the weather stripping is off the doors it bothers you. is the porch in the back yard? if it is ask them if they could smoke out front for a day or two. 

English-mum2-5
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:59 PM
This

Quoting oryxx31: Maybe push a towel under the door, dorm room pot smoker style, lol? It will also help your utilities not to go as crazy since cold air won't be seeping in as fast.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:05 PM
We have a towel under the door and a blanket over the top and sides. It's a hassle when we open and close the door. I never open my front windows, but I have to open my door.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:07 PM
Ugh gross. Nothing you can do I'm afraid. Good reason not to buy a townhouse.
CountryStrong84
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:08 PM
If it was me, and you were nice, I would try to find a new spot to smoke temporarily.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:09 PM
That is not that long. I would suck it up. If it was through the weekend I would probably very politely say something but it's like 2 days.
eztwins
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:11 PM
As a smoker whether it's rude or not would be in how I was approached. Also is there an alternative for them for the next couple of days? I mean if I was asked and all it required from me was walking down the driveway away from the doors no biggie...if we are on the 19th floor of an apartment building idk...I still might be considerate and go down stairs but maybe not all the time.

It can't hurt to ask nicely with the expectation they won't give a crap about your feeling ya know.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)