Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMG, they are so cheap!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

DH and I have been married for a year now and even though I have met his parents plenty of times, I never really stayed at their house. We live in California and they live in Texas. Well DH and I are visiting them for the first time and holy $hit I never knew cheap people like this exist. His father manually empties out the trashcan into grocery bags so they don't waste any trash bags and reuse the same one for a while i'm guessing. When my DH was taking a shower his dad came knocking at the door telling him to hurry up even though he had only been inside for maybe 6 min tops.  I suggested we grab coffee from Starbucks so we go and he doesn't offer to pay but instead asks me to get him a latte as he walks to the bathroom. As we walked out of Starbucks he grabbed maybe 100 napkins. I was mortified. He opened his glove component to add them to his collection I noticed from various places. During dinner today my MIL fried some french fries and literally made just 1 hot dog in a bun for each person. Well they didn't have any mustard and the ketchup they had were the little heinz packets you get at fast food places. When I went into the bathroom I noticed the soap was empty but instead of throwing it away or refilling it I assume my father in law added water to it to last longer. Earlier today my husband was trying to find something in the garage and his father started throwing a fit why he opened the garage itself. I again assume it was because he didn't want to consume any extra energy. These are the things I noticed being here just one day. I'm so mortified. My husband hasn't even said anything nor has he warned me in any way. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AllAboutAmaya
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Its not your life and it doesn't really affect you therefore, you shouldn't judge.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, that's a bit cheap. But why are you mortified? It's not that big a deal, lol

but I have to wonder why they buy garbage bags, why not just use the grocery bags and that's it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

MYOB.

sarbear8508
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:19 PM
Just smile, you'll be home soon ;) I like watching that show, Cheapskates your in laws would fit in just fine.
anon71
by Momma Squirrel on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:20 PM
2 moms liked this

More people should be frugal.  We waste way too much as it is.  The latte thing was a bit rude, but the other stuff doesn't seem like such a big deal.

MaryJarrett
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
If it bothers you that much, get a room.
Gorilla_Mama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

They sound a little cheap but I've known people much worse then that. Why be mortified? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:22 PM
I don't see a big deal...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Be grateful, they're adding to your dh's inheritance.

ctownjessiejo
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:25 PM

There is a TV show about people like that. I think it's called Extreme Cheapskates or something like that. So they aren't the only ones that do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)