Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just Stop Talking Back!

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:27 PM
  • 42 Replies

Okay, ladies, I need some parenting advice.

Dd is 4. In general she is very obedient, helpful, mindful, and has a very sweet personality. But the last few months she has been getting mouthy and talking back. We have tried talking to her and explaining why that is not okay. She has gotten a couple time outs or lost a toy because of her back talking. Some times she gives an attitude or gets pouty. When she does this we tell her to fix her attitude and she immediately puts a silly grin on her face and goes back to being her sweet self, but the back talking is getting worse.

How do we teach her to quit being so mouthy and back talking?

Eta: we do "yes ma'am" with her and she is usually good about receiving instruction, it is more when we are just talking she will cop an attitude or ask me a question and then try to argue with me about the answer.

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AvantGardener
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

"yes mamma" That's our saying in the house. 

"Eve time to get dressed"

"But I was just....."

"Do you mean yes mamma?"

*sigh "yes mamma"

Nip it in the bud and by the time she's 6 it will roll right off her tongue when you ask her to do something. 

jsquared8
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:30 PM
When you get an answer let me know! My 4 year old son is the same way. Most of the time he's wonderful but lately he's been mouthy as well. He will be 5 in March. I also do pre k with him since I'm a sahm and we've had to take a break from it because it's been a nightmare the last few times. I usually do time out or take things away from him. He still talks back though.
hashtagRC
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol we do "yes ma'am" when my son is getting crazy

Quoting AvantGardener:

"But I was just....."

"Do you mean yes mamma?"

*sigh "yes mamma"

Nip it in the bud and by the time she's 6 it will roll right off her tongue when you ask her to do something. 

kee1006b
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh so easy when you do it right back or stop talking to them.

Emycf
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:32 PM
We do this. It's not so much when she is given an instruction, though that has started to creep up. Is more of just general conversation. If she asks a question and I answer her she will try to argue back and tell me my answer is wrong. Any thoughts on that?

Quoting AvantGardener:

"But I was just....."

"Do you mean yes mamma?"

*sigh "yes mamma"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this
That's how I got mine to stop talking back

Quoting AvantGardener:

"But I was just....."

"Do you mean yes mamma?"

*sigh "yes mamma"

AvantGardener
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Can you give an example?

Quoting Emycf: We do this. It's not so much when she is given an instruction, though that has started to creep up. Is more of just general conversation. If she asks a question and I answer her she will try to argue back and tell me my answer is wrong. Any thoughts on that?
Quoting AvantGardener:

"But I was just....."

"Do you mean yes mamma?"

*sigh "yes mamma"

redsiren21
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:36 PM
I thought I was the only one! Its so frustrating. I really need to find a way to stop it. I didn't think the talking back started this early.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

We are dealing with this too.  DS just turned 6.  We stop, look at him and ask him "what did you say?"  IF he says it again, we remind him that it is inappropriate (he knows that word) and we walk him to the stairs and tell him to sit on his bed for 5 minutes  There are no toys in his room.  When he is told to come back down stairs, we ask him if he knows why he went into timeout and discuss (again) why what he said was inappropriate. 

Just be consistent. 

Trisi
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this
When my oldest was 4, I had the same exact question for my mom. She said, "Why do you think we made you say 'yes ma'am/sir'?"
I swore I would never make my kids say that because I hated it. But I started making him say it in place of talking back or he would be in trouble. Oh my gosh, it saved my sanity and probably his too. Lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)