Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 month old starting cereal NOT food like rice, oatmean barley. advice pls

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:03 PM
  • 263 Replies

Good afternoon ladies,

Can someone offer me advice and refresh my memory. I have a 4 month old son and a 5 year old son, so there are many things i forgot. Yes i go to a doctor and they told me to start the cereal but i forgot is it just morning and night or all day.

my questions are: do i give cereal every time i give formula, or is it certain times of day.

Also do i put it in a bowl and feed with a spoon

should i start with Rice, then go to barley and oatmeal.

how long am i suppose to stick with one thing before i switch for allergic reaction purposes.

Thanks!

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:04 PM
4 moms liked this
I'll just sit here for a minute.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:05 PM
35 moms liked this

any ped who is recommending ceral at 4 mos is a moron and should be fired

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:06 PM
3 moms liked this
You shouldn't give a baby any solids before 6 months and you should wait until baby shows signs of wanting food then just give small bits of what ever you are eating. Baby food is unnecessary
Zeppolina
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:07 PM
7 moms liked this

eyeroll. please honey relax yourself. what age did you start? i didnt know there was only 1 way

please tell me how, after all i will ignore the doctor with a degree and 40 years experience dealing with over 2000 children

your a mom you must be an EXPERT

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

any ped who is recommending ceral at 4 mos is a moron and should be fired

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:08 PM
My son is three months old will be 4 months at the end of this month I started baby good already. With out it he has bad reflexs.

I would give it to him in the morning and at dinner time. I mix fruits with the rice cearel.

Then before bed I would put some on a bottle with just his formula.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:08 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't think one ped knows better then his own governing body, but to each their own

AvantGardener
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Babies dont' need food until they are like a year old. Get a new pediatrician. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:08 PM
4 moms liked this
You are going to get bashed for starting food so early but it was common when my oldest was an infant (she's only 8 so not that long ago). They only changed the recommended age to 6 mon about 5 years.

Anyway, put the food (rice first usually) in a bowl and mix with formula or breastmilk. Use a spoon to feed. I would start with just once a day because it can cause tummy issues until they adjust. Wait 2 weeks before starting another food.

jsquared8
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Both my pediatricians told me it was ok to start cereal at 4 months. It was around that with my first because he wasn't getting full enough from formula and I just weaned my 4 month old girl off the breast because I stopped producing. I haven't given her cereal yet and I'll probably wait another couple weeks or more. I'd start with a bowl and spoon though and I think it's just a table spoon or something.
Mom2Boys9501
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I started both of mine at 3 months. I started them both with cereal (in bowl never bottle).
They both did not like it so I gave fruit then veggies.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)