Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever served hard time?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:06 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am interested in knowing what is it like? Although I pray that I NEVER have to experience it- I watch a lot of LOCKUP on MSNBC and I enjoy the interviews - I have been deployed to Afghanistan and would often compare it to being locked up because I was stuck on a base but I am sure that prison and a base are two totally different experiences...

If you have been locked up for years (not months)--- What was your crime?

What was your favorite pass time? Did you feel alone? Did you make friends? Did you get into fights? How was the food? How were the prison guards? Did you ever think about escaping? What did you look forward to? Were you ever suicidal? Did you have kids on the "outside"? How was you/ and other inmates personal hygiene?

Do you feel like you deserved the (amount) of time that you were sentenced to?

Anyone went and was totally innocent??

Whats your "best/worst" story?

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RockMyBliss
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never been arrested or served time, but a kind-of friend of mine did, so I can tell you her story. I asked a lot of questions about it and she was very open. She was arrested for felonious assault and tampering with evidence and got 5 years in prison. She said prison is much better than county jail, because there is more freedom within the prison and commissary is much better. She made a some friends but had a few enemies as well. She get into a fight because another inmate stole her gum and phone minutes, which are a currency in there and basically gold, so she had to spend time in segregation, which is basically a cold room with a toilet and sink, no personal items allowed. She had a roommate in segregation, which she hates because the lady never showered and tried to sexually assault her on numerous occasions. Her mental state would go back and forth, especially after she found out her then-husband took her kids to another state, then lost custody and they went into foster care. The CO's were fine, as long as you weren't a troublemaker. The food was absolutely foul and had no taste, which is why she loved commissary.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:23 PM
No, but I've worked in a prison, and my dh works in a women's prison now.
Goodybag1
by CuteiPie on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:27 PM
No. I couldn't do it.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:29 PM
When I was a teenager I visited someone in prison once. That was one trip to prison too many.
ShyShyne
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:32 PM

How was working there? Sometimes I think about becoming a guard then the thought of some inmates throwing feces or not taking care of their personal hygiene really bothers me---Were you the type to try and be motivational to the inmates or were you a hard-ass?? Are you ever nervous about DH starting a inappropriate relationship with inmates, since they are more vunerable than working aside a female?

Quoting Anonymous 1: No, but I've worked in a prison, and my dh works in a women's prison now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I worked in the offices, so I only encountered a few inmates a day. They were always respectful, and I treated them the same. As far as dh, I don't worry about him forming an inappropriate relationship with an inmate. He wouldn't throw his career away like that. He does work with many female officers and other staff. I think if he were to cheat, it would be with an employee. I don't think he would, but anything is possible.

Quoting ShyShyne:

How was working there? Sometimes I think about becoming a guard then the thought of some inmates throwing feces or not taking care of their personal hygiene really bothers me---Were you the type to try and be motivational to the inmates or were you a hard-ass?? Are you ever nervous about DH starting a inappropriate relationship with inmates, since they are more vunerable than working aside a female?

Quoting Anonymous 1: No, but I've worked in a prison, and my dh works in a women's prison now.

ShyShyne
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:00 PM

Thanks for sharing--- I think that I would enjoy the inprocessing/ outprocessing portion of the job...but I was not sure if those positions rotate with actual "on floor" guards

Quoting Anonymous 1: I worked in the offices, so I only encountered a few inmates a day. They were always respectful, and I treated them the same. As far as dh, I don't worry about him forming an inappropriate relationship with an inmate. He wouldn't throw his career away like that. He does work with many female officers and other staff. I think if he were to cheat, it would be with an employee. I don't think he would, but anything is possible.
Quoting ShyShyne:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:03 PM
It probably depends on the prison. If I remember correctly, intake is done by a specific position. The officers do rotate jobs, usually every 90 days. Pay and benefits vary greatly by state too.

Quoting ShyShyne:

Thanks for sharing--- I think that I would enjoy the inprocessing/ outprocessing portion of the job...but I was not sure if those positions rotate with actual "on floor" guards

Quoting Anonymous 1: I worked in the offices, so I only encountered a few inmates a day. They were always respectful, and I treated them the same. As far as dh, I don't worry about him forming an inappropriate relationship with an inmate. He wouldn't throw his career away like that. He does work with many female officers and other staff. I think if he were to cheat, it would be with an employee. I don't think he would, but anything is possible.
Quoting ShyShyne:

MagicMary
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:06 PM

I've known plenty of people in jail and prison - visited them since I was child too, but never myself have been locked up and don't ever plan on it!

okpondlady
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:09 PM

Nope.  

TANSTAAFL- There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)