Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms who use ASL or moms with kids that use....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

Ok I have a minor learning disability and recently found out the reason for this learning disability is I'm nearly deaf and have sever dyslexia. My English skills for a nearly 40 year old women are very lacking.

It was suggested I start learning more ASL but I talked to an instructor the other day and he said due to my lack of English skills I should just forget it and deal an use what cooping skills I've taught myself over the years. 

I know very basic ASL and fear the day I'll lose my hearing fully(I'm 1 to 3 ear infections from fully losing it, told to me by an ENT doctor). I do not know how to lip read but it was suggested I do but when I really look at some one and try to lip read I don't seem to do it. Shrug not sure if the instructor was full of shit or not.

So any input would be greatly helpful. I'm looking at taking some English classes but non will work with my disability.

If you need to know I'm 75% deaf in my right and 50% in my left. No hearing aids insurance will not cover them as I'm stuck in that window of I'm not under 18 and not over 60. I am looking for help to get aids though.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Is English not your first language? I am a little confused?

Addismom21
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:13 PM

If I were you I would find another instructor. I have no idea what your English skills have to do with you learning to speak in ASL. I mean babies that don't really understand much English learn how to speak in sign language. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to learn. You need to do as much as you can before you lose your hearing completely.

Maime13
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:17 PM

I wouldn't think that having poor English skills would impact your ability to learn ASL. The sentence structure is different and more "instinctual" for lack of a better term.  ASL is more direct and has a visual component. There are next to no idioms which means people are literally saying what they mean. Overall, it's cleaner and I would imagine better for someone whose language skills might not be on par with their age.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:20 PM

You need to just start learning basic signs.  Learn nouns and verbs and incorporate them into your every day speaking.  Get an ASL app for your phone.  If you are talking and you don't know the sign, look it up.  Most people with learning disabilities find ASL easier than any other language.  

Do you have any local deaf groups?  They might have some resources and you could get more practice in.  I go to those meetings sometimes and I'm 100% hearing but speak ASL.

bigmouthbabe
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:20 PM
I went to college for, but did not finish. My major was ASL with a minor in Interpretting. I would suggest learning ASL. There are loads of tools online to teach you free. Get involved with a local deaf community. The best way to learn is hang out with some deafies. They will teach you. Learn your ABC's first. What you don't know the sign for will need to be spelled out and they will help teach you. Good luck. Also ignore negative idiots that have told you that you cannot do something. You wrote intelligently and I have no doubt in my mind you will succeed at anything you put your mind to.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:20 PM

Find your local lions club. They can probably assist you with hearing aids.

My youngest has moderate hearing loss but we do not use ASL. Her hearing aids correct her hearing enough that we don't need to. My oldest daughter has severedyslexia and was encouraged to take ASL as her foriegn language in high school and she loves it.

We have looked into ASL classes for the family just in case and we will probably do it soon since my oldest loves it so much. I think it would be a fun family activity, even if we never really "need" it.

drowningmama
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:22 PM

No.  You should learn ASL.  You will get it.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:22 PM

Yes, English is my first language but not my only one that I grew up around. I was primarly taught English but at home and relative homes they only spoke German which sadly over the years I've lost that.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Is English not your first language? I am a little confused?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:23 PM
Your written English is better than 90% of the other people in mc. Learn asl, you'll do great!
happinessforyou
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:26 PM

Ok first- ANYBODY can learn ASL... Whoever you talked to is an ASS.

2nd- whoever you talked to is an ass....

Check with a Community College, hospital etc..et.c.. and ask if there is anyone on staff who deals with hearing loss. Cruise the internet to find some support groups.... GL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)