Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your ethnicity influence your hygiene habits?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:37 PM
  • 96 Replies

Glee star Naya Rivera was just on The View and raised eyebrows by confessing, "I think that white people shower a lot more than ethnic. I feel like showering more than once a day or every day is such a white people thing." We're wondering what real women/moms have to say about this! How frequently do YOU shower, and do you think your ethnic background influences your hygiene habits? Please include your first name, last initial, and city/state, as this is for an upcoming feature on CafeMom. Thank you!

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
honeyrder
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:49 PM

I'm multi-ethnic, as most Americans are, but mostly of European ethnicities, and I shower every day. I don't even sweat, so it is surely related to how I was raised. I don't consider my parents to be culturally similar, though. She is a city girl, and he is a country boy. Honey H. JAX/FL

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:54 PM
5 moms liked this
Umm the amount of filthy you're okay with has nothing to do"with your ethnicity.

But I'll just wait for some racist to rattle off the people she thinks are "dirty"
SoInLove515
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:54 PM
My stbxh is black and showers everyday. I'm white and shower everyday..
Rhodin
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:57 PM
3 moms liked this
The various Army units I've served with had women of all sorts of races. We all showered daily. The main difference was in how often we shampooed our hair. Rose C. Willoughby, OH
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyrelsmom
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:59 PM
I'm white and shower probably about 5 times a week. Most days but it doesn't bother me if I miss one day.
CorpCityGrl
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:00 PM

I'm multi-ethnic, predominantly Asian and I shower every day. Sometimes multiple times a day. I don't know anyone who really does NOT shower on a regular basis, regardless of their ethnic background. I find that excuse a bit silly and childish. Rose Ann M., N Y

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:02 PM
I'm Latina and shower daily. This is the strangest thing I've ever heard.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:04 PM
I'm a white girl and I shower twice a day most days, but at least daily. I don't know anyone of another ethnicity that doesn't shower daily.
Ellaroo
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:08 PM
2 moms liked this
I think this is a hair/skin thing vs a ethnicity thing. I'm white but I have naturally curly hair. Curly hair tends to get dry, brittle, and break off if you wash it too much. I don't shower everyday especially in the winter because it gives me dry skin and hair. i shower every other day and try to only wash my hair 2-3 times a week. I think white people are just less likely to have curly hair and their dry skin isn't as obvious as it is on darker skin.
Desiree M Columbia, MD
ShyShyne
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:10 PM

I shower once a day- I do not think it has anything to do with my ethnic background...but maybe my upbringing- there are blacks who have different beliefs amongst themselves, as well as whites--

Now--- I can see where that could come into play as far as shampooing hair... I only shampoo my hair about once every two weeks...whereas from my understanding a lot of other ethnicity's shampoo their hair daily

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)