Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

moms with hypothyroidism can you please help me out I just got diagnosed

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
So I.went to the doctor yesterday because I've been extremely tired and weak,dizziness,low appetite,weight loss,acne,no libido,long periods etc turns out I have hypothyroidism. My tsh was 15 and its supposed to be no more than 5. How long does it take for meds to help and has anyone started meds and then your periods get shorter and libido come back?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:49 PM
Bump
janedoe13
by boxerdog lover on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:50 PM

mine started working within 6 weeks. 

4deans
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:53 PM
I too have hypothyroidism my levels were 13.5. It took me abt 3-4 weeks before I started to notice my health improving

Quoting Anonymous 1: So I.went to the doctor yesterday because I've been extremely tired and weak,dizziness,low appetite,weight loss,acne,no libido,long periods etc turns out I have hypothyroidism. My tsh was 15 and its supposed to be no more than 5. How long does it take for meds to help and has anyone started meds and then your periods get shorter and libido come back?
MrsApple
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:55 PM

Depends on if the dosage ends up being right for you but for the most part,you can expect it to take a few weeks-couple of months to really start noticing the change.

ccnstanczak
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:56 PM

within a few weeks you should see an improvement. and he should retest to make sure you are on the right dose.

also, take it as directed, same time everyday. and stay away from soy as it affects the absorption of the medication.  look into a thyroid diet as some foods are great and some foods do hinder your thyroid function/medication.

missymackie
by Hey Brother on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:58 PM
Check out stopthethyroidmadness.com
babyspots17
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:58 PM

Within a few weeks but it is one of those things that will have to be monitored because the dose may be off or need to be changed.  What were you prescribed? 

katyusha42
by Metal Kitty on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:00 PM
http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/hypothyroidism/complications-hypothyroidism

Here is a link which may help.

I have graves and hashimotos disease. I had to have my thyroid removed after suffering a life threatening thyroid storm due to this. I would highly recommend you see an endocrinologist to help you manage your disease. It takes about 6 weeks for your levels to even out after starting medication. You will probably notice a difference on about 3 to 4 weeks in how you feel.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:06 PM
I'm not sure yet my mom is picking it up for me

Quoting babyspots17:

Within a few weeks but it is one of those things that will have to be monitored because the dose may be off or need to be changed.  What were you prescribed? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:07 PM
I have to go back in 6 weeks to get retested

Quoting ccnstanczak:

within a few weeks you should see an improvement. and he should retest to make sure you are on the right dose.

also, take it as directed, same time everyday. and stay away from soy as it affects the absorption of the medication.  look into a thyroid diet as some foods are great and some foods do hinder your thyroid function/medication.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)