Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who Should Pay If Anyone?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:33 PM
  • 19 Replies

Student council hosted a school dance last month. The PTO had no involvement. So explain to me why our PTO Treasurer just emailed me stating that the DJ downloaded songs off of iTunes as the kids requested them and is now looking for reimbursement. She says the DJ is a friend of hers and that she feels he shouldn't get stuck with the cost and that we should write him a check.

Um... Am I being a mega bitch for saying NO. He's a DJ! Shouldn't he already of had a vast collection of music? Also the songs he purchased are now  his forever. His to use at other events. Student Council paid him a fee to DJ the dance. I've never heard of someone coming back and asking for more money.

She forwarded me the receipts and all the songs are current top hits Taylor Swift Blank Space, Nicki Minaj Anaconda, All About That Bass by Megan Trainor. There are 11 songs total.

I'm annoyed. Do you think the PTO should have to pay a DJ for downloading music? Do you think the DJ should have to eat the cost? Should Student Council pay for it since it was their sponsored event?

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tina_a
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I think if he chose to download music for the event that's his problem. Especially if there was no agreement to reimburse him for the music he downloaded.
JC2223
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:41 PM

He should eat the costs or right them off as a business expense. The PTO should NOT reimburse him!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:42 PM
His issue, not yours!!! He should have told the kids sorry he didn't have those songs instead of buying them. And never use him again.
Anonymous01
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:42 PM
PTO should not pay, if it wasn't in his agreement with the student council, then he needs to suck it up.
LilysMama719
by Emmy on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:43 PM
He was paid to perform a service. Any music he downloads is his to pay.
SAHMJC
by Emerald Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:44 PM
he is a DJ so yes he is responsible for providing the music
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:44 PM

I think that he already got paid to do that dance. Downloading extra music was his choice and is on him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:45 PM
2 moms liked this

No he's a DJ he was paid to supply the music. He was already paid

If he doesn't have the latest hits - then he sucks as a DJ

MommyAddie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:00 PM
No, you shouldn't pay him. Those are his cost of business expenses, and you're right...those are his songs to profit from in the future.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sydel
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:03 PM

Right! Next time he does an event he will have those songs. And with the Exception of Billie Jean by Michael the rest were all current top hits that he would have and should have already had.

Quoting MommyAddie: No, you shouldn't pay him. Those are his cost of business expenses, and you're right...those are his songs to profit from in the future.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)