Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:01 PM
  • 15 Replies
When did some of you start leaving your children home alone? As in like short trips to the store, errands? etc.... Outtings that typically take an hour or less. My kids aren't to that age yet as my oldest is only about to turn 10. But he's always telling me to just leave him at home. I tell him no way, he's not old enough. He wants to know when he will be. That got me to thinking. Well.., I don't know when lol! I didn't even realize we were getting anywhere near that point yet.
So when did you start?
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:02 PM
Mine isn't near old enough yet so I have no idea lol. Bump!
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:05 PM

I plan on start letting DS stay home alone when he is 10. He's 7 now.

DavidsMommy6.12
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:05 PM
We were 9-13. And that was for an hour,2 at max. Id say 10 would be fine if you can trust him to stay out of things he doesnt belong in or not burn the house dow. Plus if u have a landline and cell you can check on him. Or get a cheap $10 tracfone just for when u leave him alone. Also id start out at maybe 20 mins and work your way to an hour max. Does your state have laws on this? Some states dont.
SuperPickle
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:06 PM

My oldest I would leave for short periods at about 9.5 and he was perfectly fine..my middle son wasnt ready for even a few minutes until recently and he is almost 11. He was just on the nervous side but he feels much more comfortable now. My youngest is 8 and while I am not ready to leave him alone just yet I know he will be more independent like his oldest brother.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:07 PM
DS is only 6yo, we aren't ready for that yet.
krusesbaby
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:07 PM
I think I was left in charge of my brother and soster (1 &2yrs younger) when I was 10.
my grandparents raised us so thay may make a difference? From age 8 during summer vacation we were shoved out of the house and told to play and not to come back till lunch and then again for dinner.
sheena696
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:07 PM

My oldest will be 13 in March. Just in the last few months we have let him stay home while we go to the store for about an hour. I would NOT being letting him if we didn't live where we did though. (We are out in the country, my neighbors beside us are my grandparents and across are my parents) And even now I'm still not 100% comfortable with it. lol The first time we let him though we did a run through of safety and made him prove he could open his bedroom window (older windows) in case of an emergency. 

svolkov
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:08 PM
Ds is 10. I've left him for maybe 15-20 mins to get his prescription. Only bc he felt like crap
xtwistedxlovex
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:09 PM

I'm pretty sure my 8yo would have a heart attack if I left him home alone. He's nowhere near ready for that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:10 PM

When he was you g enough to just stay safely in his crib I would leave him to go to the store. Now he's too big so I wait until he's asleep. He's 4. During the day, maybe 5-6? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)