Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how often do your kids get candy?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 61 Replies

my SIL says im uptight because i rarely give my kids candy. they spent the night with her last weekend and they came home with a ton of candy and by the way they were acting she fed them candy the entire time they were with her (whatever. they dont see her often. im not going to nit pick it) but as soon as they walked in the door they start asking for candy. before i could even answer my SIL says "you have to ask for candy? i gave it to you, just eat it!" 

i took it all from the kids, threw about half of it away, and put the rest up out of reach and have let them have 2 pieces each since then (sunday)...and this is a lot for my kids compared to what they normally get. 

my SO came home today saying his sister texted asking what my "problem" is and why i cant let our kids be kids. 

HELLO! THEY PING OFF THE FUCKING WALLS. seriously. theyre young and full of energy as it is. but the two oldest are very sensitive to sugar. give them any piece of candy, no matter how small, and they are running wild and not listening. 

my SO and i agree on this subject so it really isnt an issue. but we tend to agree on most things and weve been nick named the drill sargents by our siblings (his and mine). it works for our family though. other then when they come home from someone elses (cough SIL cough) house and feel entitled and like theyre too good for rules. but...

so im just wondering: to the parents who "let their kids be kids" what does it look like? how much candy am i supposed to feed my kid in order for them to be considered real kids? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:31 PM
5 moms liked this
My kids can have candy whenever they want, that goes for junk food and soda as well. But that's my parenting style, I don't make things like that off limits because then it makes them want to go overboard when it's offered.
StarWilliams
by 💅StuckUpChick💁 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:33 PM
My family said the same thing about me and I was quick to say I'm their mother they are not going to be eating candy all day . My kids still have Easter candy . Lol not just they get hyper but it's not good for them . But because the way I am about it their father sneaks them candy sometimes . The haven't had candy since last Thursday though.
LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Pretty much whenever they want along with soda and junk food.
They are now 18 and 20 and rarely eat junk or candy. Soda tey have a few times a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slb235
by Grammar Police on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Our house is like half a step down from the blind witch's in Hansel and Gretel.  Candy EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME.

But srsly, she probably gets candy once a week or biweekly.

1mommy613
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:34 PM
About as much as we do!

Never...
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:34 PM
DS probably has candy once a week.
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this
We still have Halloween candy, I don't restrict it, they're free to get it whenever they want. They just don't eat a lot of sweets.

It was the same way for my older kids, one of them does have a massive sweet tooth though, I semi-kept an eye on it, but even he was good about moderation.
SommelierMom
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:35 PM
DD is allowed a very small square of high-quality dark chocolate after dinner nightly.
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:35 PM
Last time DS got candy was Halloween. He doesn't like candy which is good because I don't have it in the house.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:35 PM
Every Friday for dessert
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)