Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So, I just figured out something pretty amazing

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:39 PM
  • 16 Replies
You know those white spots you get on wood furniture when something too hot gets set on it? It takes like 30 seconds to "fix" them.

Well, my new table had spots in two places from bowls of hot oatmeal. I saw online that going over it with a steam iron with a cotton cloth in between to protect the table will fix the spot.

I was getting ready to mop my floor and took the risk of going over the spots with my steam mop. Oh my goodness! It pulled them right out! It was so easy. I literally steam mopped the damage right out of the table.

I wish I had taken before and after pictures now.

If you try it, keep the mop moving and keep the excess moisture wiped up. You don't want to get the area too hot and wet or you may do more damage. It's better to not have it on there long enough and just have to go over it a few times than leave it on there too long.

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:42 PM

I've done the iron thing before.  It really works.  I've done it on several antique pieces.  Never heard of using steam before.  Glad it works.

theboyfactory
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:46 PM
I'm glad they came out so easily.

Now to fix the place where my stepson decided to cut an orange on the table with a steak knife.

Then, the fabric seat on one dining room chair that Raymond decided to adorn with ink.

Aagghh! It's a brand new table. :(

Quoting chalisa0:

I've done the iron thing before.  It really works.  I've done it on several antique pieces.  Never heard of using steam before.  Glad it works.

BonnieRay
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:54 PM
Cool!

We inherited a solid wood dining room table from my mother-in-law. She damaged it years ago with a hot tea cup. I will have to give this a try :-)
theboyfactory
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:32 PM
Do it! Take a before and after pic. :)

Quoting BonnieRay: Cool!

We inherited a solid wood dining room table from my mother-in-law. She damaged it years ago with a hot tea cup. I will have to give this a try :-)
chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:33 PM

Eeks.  Those are hard ones.  Not sure you can fix the table very easily.  Ink is hard to get out too.  I've had success with oxyclean-BUT, it will bleed out the color so don't use it if your patterns are bright or dark.  Some people say to use hairspray, but I've never had much success-especially on a surface that you can't access both sides.  Good luck. 

Quoting theboyfactory: I'm glad they came out so easily. Now to fix the place where my stepson decided to cut an orange on the table with a steak knife. Then, the fabric seat on one dining room chair that Raymond decided to adorn with ink. Aagghh! It's a brand new table. :(
Quoting chalisa0:

rosie211
by I'm a nice one on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:34 PM
Thanks for sharing! I am going to try the iron since I don't have a steam mop.
fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:35 PM
I found this awesome stain remover in the laundry section called Amodex. It stinks like a cheap perm but got Sharpie out of my daughters brand new Northface...amongst other miracles like a rogue crayon in the dryer and so on.

Quoting theboyfactory: I'm glad they came out so easily.

Now to fix the place where my stepson decided to cut an orange on the table with a steak knife.

Then, the fabric seat on one dining room chair that Raymond decided to adorn with ink.

Quoting chalisa0:

WarriorMum
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Use brown paper (used to wrap parcels) flock side down to prevent burning the wood. Also great for taking out grease spots on clothing/furniture.

Quoting rosie211: Thanks for sharing! I am going to try the iron since I don't have a steam mop.

Emycf
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:40 PM
Hairspray works on ink.

Quoting theboyfactory: I'm glad they came out so easily.

Quoting chalisa0:

WarriorMum
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:42 PM

Check out your local hardware stores for Wood Crayons to fix the table. Seal it with clear nail varnish or floor wax. Buff to shine.
Your chair is a lost cause I am afraid. It is impossible to get ink out once it fixes. If it happens again, immediately spray liberally with hair spray,use salt to draw the ink out of the fabric fibres.

Quoting theboyfactory: I'm glad they came out so easily. Now to fix the place where my stepson decided to cut an orange on the table with a steak knife. Then, the fabric seat on one dining room chair that Raymond decided to adorn with ink. Aagghh! It's a brand new table. :(
Quoting chalisa0:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)