Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Appropriate punishment for a 5 y/o?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:23 PM
  • 38 Replies

Mobile Photo

My son turned 5 on August 28th. He's very challenging. Extreme bright. A good reader. A natural affinity with numbers. Just very very smart. Emotionally? Omfg. He's still reminiscent of a toddler at times. He doesn't listen well at school. Cries when he doesn't want to do something. I've tossed around the idea of another year of kindergarten but his teacher thinks that'd be detrimental academically and we'd have a very very bored little boy next year. So we just deal and try to punish and redirect appropriately for his emotional immaturity. He got in trouble for playing in the bathroom at school today. He likes running around and screaming in there. Banging stall doors.

How appropriate is this punishment? I know he HATED doing it and it took him about two hours to complete. I allowed breaks.
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tklrcl2014
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:25 PM

How many times did he have to write it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:25 PM

Gie the kid a tablet and take it awaywhen he misbehaves...easy and less painful for YOU!

Charity83
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:26 PM
He has an iPad. I do :/ He loses his Legos and his iPad depending on severity. He just doesn't seem to care.
Charity83
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:27 PM
20 sentences.

Quoting tklrcl2014:

How many times did he have to write it?

Bluerose1482
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:28 PM

Seems fair to me.

tklrcl2014
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Eh, it might have been better to go with 10, but it's not horrible.

tklrcl2014
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:29 PM
2 moms liked this

In that case, I'm going to suggest a taboo topic and try swatting his little rear a couple of times.

Quoting Charity83: He has an iPad. I do :/ He loses his Legos and his iPad depending on severity. He just doesn't seem to care.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:29 PM

I think  you did good mama!!   I think it was appropriate for him.    if the taking away of ipads and toys dont work,  this might.  :)   hopfully he will now remember to not play in the bathroom!  :)

hashtagRC
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:30 PM
Any punishment that lasts 2 hours, I'm not gonna do. (Taking a toy away is not the same, those I take away for days) Kids that small don't work that way. Your kid though, it's already done so what's it matter?
Charity83
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:31 PM
I do. It doesn't phase him. He's upset about it. But does not appear to connect it to his behavior within a day or two. I hate admitting it but I just have no idea how to discipline this kid sometimes.

Quoting tklrcl2014:

In that case, I'm going to suggest a taboo topic and try swatting his little rear a couple of times.

Quoting Charity83: He has an iPad. I do :/ He loses his Legos and his iPad depending on severity. He just doesn't seem to care.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)