Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much is the average tax refund for...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
A Navy service member who has been in the Navy for 8 years, and has a wife and 2 kids?

I am getting my daughter's dad's tax refund, and was curious as to about how much I should expect because we're planning on using a portion of it to make over her bedroom.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2015 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ejkdmom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 7:10 PM

I don't know how you can tell.

What rank is he?  Does he get any extra pay?  Does his wife work?  How many exemptions does he claim?  Does he owe money?  Not everyone gets money back.  Does he owe you back CS?

Snakecharm
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 7:12 PM
What was it last year? If not much has changed I would imagine it's in the same ballpark
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2015 at 7:13 PM
I literally have no idea to most of that. I do know that they will take his wife's portion, too, if she doesn't send in the paper for them not to. Yes, he owes almost 20,000 in back cs.

Quoting ejkdmom:

What rank is he?  Does he get any extra pay?  Does his wife work?  How many exemptions does he claim?  Does he owe money?  Not everyone gets money back.  Does he owe you back CS?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2015 at 7:15 PM
I didn't get it last year so I don't know. He just started paying cs about 6 months ago.

Quoting Snakecharm: What was it last year? If not much has changed I would imagine it's in the same ballpark
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Jan. 14, 2015 at 7:16 PM
There's no way to know until you get it. Many people will put 10 for dependents on their w4 if they know they won't get their refund anyway so there isn't a refund.
ejkdmom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 7:17 PM

Then I would not be counting any chickens before they hatch (or planning on paint color).  He may very well owe taxes and not get a refund so you won't get any.  If he is a deadbeat dad, there is a good chance that he has it planned so there is no refund.  Plan the remodel with any money you already have and if you get any from his taxes, then you can add more stuff.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I literally have no idea to most of that. I do know that they will take his wife's portion, too, if she doesn't send in the paper for them not to. Yes, he owes almost 20,000 in back cs.
Quoting ejkdmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)