Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it normal?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 7:31 PM
  • 8 Replies

I guess normal is the wrong word.  Is it common for an autistic child to be much more attached to one parent than the other? Is this common among all children; not just autistic kids?

My 5 year old son will only tell me about his day at school.  No matter how much my dh asks, he refuses to talk to him about his day.  He will go on and on to me, but the second he thinks his dad is listening, he clams up.

Is this common?

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 7:33 PM
It's common for all children in my opinion dd favors me over dh
TheLadyAmalthea
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 7:33 PM
Omigosh yes! When daddy is in the room, I don't exist!
smalltownteddy
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 7:35 PM
My kids are NT and I've seen this. DD prefers me, DS prefers DH.
amy-momof5
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this
All of my kids prefer me. It sucks, majorly.
theTosh.O
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 7:37 PM

Thanks.  That's why I asked that.  I don't want to blame all his behavior or quirks on being autistic, but I have no nt children, so I'm clueless about their bahaviors.

Quoting smalltownteddy: My kids are NT and I've seen this. DD prefers me, DS prefers DH.

NBVP1
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 7:57 PM
It's common to an extent among non autistic kids.

But it is actually an autistic trait for your son. It's a sign of discomfort or unwillingness to deviate from his routine. His social interactions are scripted to a degree and that gives him a sense of safety. Dad is a curve ball for whatever reason.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:02 PM

yes. Ds has had daddy phases. Broke my heart to hear my little man cry da-da when mommy could not make it better. But its normal.

Encourage him to talk about it, one thing you could try is talk about your day at dinner time. Just you and dh talk, you talk to ds. It might help

smalltownteddy
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:33 PM
It's totally normal behavior, even for NT children.

Quoting theTosh.O:

Thanks.  That's why I asked that.  I don't want to blame all his behavior or quirks on being autistic, but I have no nt children, so I'm clueless about their bahaviors.

Quoting smalltownteddy: My kids are NT and I've seen this. DD prefers me, DS prefers DH.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)