Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teachers - does this matter...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

My son's 7th grade English teacher wants them to write multiple paragraphs using only pencil - no pen.  

First, let me say that I am a certified teacher and taught HS English for 10 years - only stopped 2 years ago.  Personally, I would have preferred pen - it is easier to see than pencil as many students write very lightly.  BUT, if the assignment was done and legible, I wouldn't care with what it was written.  I surely wouldn't create an asinine rule simply because "I can" to teach students that their future boss may have rules they don't like but they still have to follow...what a waste of time.  If I had a boss that had asinine rules, I'd work somewhere else - in fact, that's exactly what I did.

So, we happen to be running low on our 'at home' pencil supply.  I told him to just write it in pen and he is upset because he says his teacher doesn't like pen.   I know the type - and I feel for him.  He is a straight A student and he consistantly scores in the in the 99% percentile on standardized testing.  I'd be pissed if he turned in a legible assignment that met all the criteria and he lost points because he wrote it in pen and the teacher 'likes pencil'.   (He doesn't know why - they weren't given a reason)

What do you think?  

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this
If I give a direction, it is for a reason. Students and parents are always welcome to ask about those reasons if they're curious.
AmiJanell
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:22 PM

For a 7th grader, I'd probably write him a note to go along with his paper and just tell the teacher that you did not have a pencil, and while you son insisted it needed to be, it wasn't an option... so to excuse the pen ;)  If he was older, I'd let him deal with it on his own. 

smorgan865
by Emerald Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:23 PM
We were not allowed to write assignments in pen either. Even in middle and high school. An assignment turned on in done with pen would be a 0, not even looked at.

Pencils are cheap, just get some pencils, and a sharpener.
TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Go to the corner store and buy a pencil.
Momniscient
by Emerald Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:24 PM
2 moms liked this
I think you are probably the parent you used to probably roll your eyes at.

kee1006b
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:24 PM

Crazy.  My dd is in 7th grade.  Never has her English teacher said it had to be in pencil.   Typed yes, pencil, no

-OriginalPoster
by -NotOP on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:25 PM
Why wouldn't he bring a pencil home?

Imo if he's that worried about it, it matters. I would get some pencils.
grannie_kel
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Rather than letting it be an issue, why don't you just buy some pencils?  Since you knew about this, you should have already bought them. 

When you were teaching, did you let the parents make the rules in your classes?

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:29 PM
I hate writing in pencil. Unless it's mechanical pencil, then it has to be tiny lead. My hand smudges pencil like no other. Sometimes I don't like being lefty.
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:30 PM

I remember math being required to be in pencil and hating that. I can't imagine having to write an entire paper in pencil. Or grading it. I always ended up covered in graphite when I graded pencil assignments.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)