Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have to keep my kids separated

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 153 Replies

I have to separate my kids with a baby gate. my 4 1/2 year old is very mean to the 1 year old. i don't know what to do. she (the oldest) is super greedy and mean so i just separate them. wwyd?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:26 PM
Mean how?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:29 PM

she pushes, hits, snatches things away, yells at her sibling, tries to throw him on the ground.

Quoting Andrewsmom70: Mean how?

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Other than separate, how do you discipline her?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

she pushes, hits, snatches things away, yells at her sibling, tries to throw him on the ground.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:34 PM

i don't spank so i give her time outs in the corner, send her to sit alone, try to talk to her but i don't really know what else to do

Quoting Andrewsmom70: Other than separate, how do you discipline her?
Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:34 PM

luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Are you planning to keep them seperated for life?
emandab
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:41 PM
8 moms liked this

Eh, I'd start doing whatever mean thing she does to her sibling right back to her.  If she pushed him down in a mean way (not the "she brushed by him and he fell because he's not steady on his feet yet" way) I'd push her down.  She'll give you that "what the hell?" look and then ask her how it feels.  It may seem harsh but it works.  Sometimes the older sibling needs some perspective on how it feels to be picked on by someone bigger than them.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

i don't spank so i give her time outs in the corner, send her to sit alone, try to talk to her but i don't really know what else to do

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:42 PM

no. that was a silly question.

Quoting luckysevenwow: Are you planning to keep them seperated for life?

kappalopokis
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:42 PM
I thibk you need more discipline.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:44 PM

i have tried that and it doesn't work. she doesn't like it but she will do it again to her brother.

Quoting emandab:

Eh, I'd start doing whatever mean thing she does to her sibling right back to her.  If she pushed him down in a mean way (not the "she brushed by him and he fell because he's not steady on his feet yet" way) I'd push her down.  She'll give you that "what the hell?" look and then ask her how it feels.  It may seem harsh but it works.  Sometimes the older sibling needs some perspective on how it feels to be picked on by someone bigger than them.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)