Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Grandparent rights" do NOT trump my rights! Long

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

My mother is claiming that her rights as a grandparent trumps mine and my sons.

He is the thing....she and her boyfriend want my son to go there for a few days...he is nine...

Thing is she DEMANDS...hugs and kisses on demand...hell this kid doesn't even hug me...he is very anti touch and has been since he was an infant. If my mom wouldn't force him to hug and kiss her multiple times a day...and hug her friends (strangers to him) and just let him take his time he would likely warm up to her.

She wanted him to sleep between them (I put a stop to that)

I am not allowed to come with him.

She demands that she "inspects" him in the shower (at least one a day since "no dirty boy is going to lay in HER sheets) ((meaning his bed there but still her sheets) She claims that she stopped this but my son is very private and this really upset him making it so he doesn't want to go back.

No night light...(he is deathly afraid of the dark and there is NO light sources around his room)

He is not allowed to call me when he is there.

She will cook him things that I told her he will not eat (PB&J sandwiches) he vomited one time there because she forced him to eat it..I had just happened to call (he was like 5) and all I hear is her screaming and him bawling...I demanded that he be brought home right away.

She is so cruel to him...promising him things then taking it away...Example had him hyped the whole day for a movie...then took it away since "Kids in Africa never get to see a movie, do you really think its fair that we go" (I was there for this instance and he began crying my mom told me to pop him one or he would. I told her she was never laying a hand on my son and we got into a big fight...I took him for a 2 hour walk and didn't come back till it was time to go)

Now she is threatening that if I don't let him go there she will take me to court for "grandparent" rights. 

Thing is HE DOES NOT WANT TO. I had no rights with my mother growing up (thank God my dad had primary custody only had to deal with her a little bit) 

She is accusing me of saying I molested him...I did not I said he was not comfortable with all the forced cuddles and kisses...

GRRRR am I really that wrong? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:07 AM
I would not let him go back over. If need be get a restraining order or something.
Mrs-Somerhalder
by Blake on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:07 AM
She would have zero contact with my child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katydid150
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Cut her out. Save any texts or emails.  Don't let your boy near her. 

Dana0187
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Regardless of any rights, the courts do what's best for the kid. At nine years old, his opinion would matter quite a bit. No judge will rule in favor of her if the child doesn't want to go there. It's not like he's an infant that can't give good reasoning for why he doesn't want her in his life. I wouldn't worry too much. Tell her to take you to court. She's an idiot if she truly believes she has more rights than you. It's YOUR CHILD.
greenlove2013
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:11 AM
No, she sounds toxic and crazy.
RobinBright
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:13 AM
Why on earth did you send him back for more visits after the earliest incidents?
HeavenonEarth81
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:13 AM

thank God my mom isn't like that. She needs to learn some damn boundaries or have no contact with him at all. 

LeilaBeansMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:13 AM
This.

Quoting Dana0187: Regardless of any rights, the courts do what's best for the kid. At nine years old, his opinion would matter quite a bit. No judge will rule in favor of her if the child doesn't want to go there. It's not like he's an infant that can't give good reasoning for why he doesn't want her in his life. I wouldn't worry too much. Tell her to take you to court. She's an idiot if she truly believes she has more rights than you. It's YOUR CHILD.
TSNDDY
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:13 AM
What the hell, from the sounds of it I never would have let her have him unsupervised to begin with. No way would she be getting him overnight.
Shy_Dia
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:14 AM
Wow.

I'd be like totally! Then turn around and say 'ahh, well thinking about it, kids in Africa can't always see their grandma. Do you think it's really fair for him to see you when they can't?'

Keep her craziness fair away
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)