Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Don't Know How To Use Hair Styling Products or Makeup...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

That is my confession. My hair always looks the same, no matter how I have it cut and no matter what styling products I use. I have thick hair everybody tells me they envy, but one of my fondest wishes is to have body in the crown. I use gel. I use mousse. I use hairspray. Nothing works. 

I MAY have discovered what I am doing wrong and wonder what you all think. My wealthy aunt, who regularly visits very upscale salons and who has a very "put together" sculpted hair style, told me recently that you are supposed to apply mousse to dry hair. Is that right? I have always applied it to wet hair, then styled with blow dryer and round brush thinking as the mousse dries, it helps hold the hair in place where you want it. 

I was also never taught how to apply makeup. I am 49 freaking years old and don't know how to apply eyeliner. I look like a raccoon when I try. Friends tell me I need to highlight my eyes with it and i am too embarrased to tell them I don't know how!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:24 AM
I'm 33 and have no clue and wish I did and I'm afraid my dd won't be able to either
Krystle1216
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this
You tube has tons of tutorials on makeup applications and styling hair.
kyheavensmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:27 AM
I agree youtube! That where I learned a lot about hair and make up
CountryMomma123
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:28 AM

I don't know ether but that is because I don't but anything in my hair and I never wear makeup. My hubby love that it only takes me 5 mis to get ready to go anywhere.

gradysmom2006
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:30 AM
I have curly hair. I just use curl creams.

To get lift at the crown, pull the hair up as you dry it.
autodidact
by Snarknado on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:33 AM

go to sephora and explain that you need a tutorial, and that you're not used to makeup so you want a very natural look. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:33 AM
I recommend three things: Boxycharm, Glossybox, YouTube. BC and GB Are monthly beauty subscription boxes that send 5 beauty products each every month. So much fun!
Emycf
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:33 AM
I use mousse occasionally and I have watched stylists use it. I've never seen it put on dry hair.

Hang your head upside down while you are blow dying and give the roots a shot of cool air before you stand up straight. This helps give my hair some body at the roots. I have thick, heavy hair so the top is pretty plastered to my head unless I do the upside down thing.
kristiwalker09
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:39 AM
I don't get it either.
My sister tried showing me how to apply make up and the lesson never stuck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:55 AM

Thanks for the great tips all! My aunt did introduce me to Guts10 mousse by Redken. I love that it's a spray mousse so I don't have to get my hands sticky!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)