Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He is tired all the time!

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:41 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

My 6 year old is tired all the time. I mean all the time. On the weekends he insists on waking up around 6:30 but he will lay around with brief playing spurts and then take a 3 hour nap after lunch. Despite his nap he is in bed asleep between 8-9 on the weekends. He acts up terribly at school on occasion when he gets tired. He doesn't have too many after school activities, just piano one day a week and dance one day a week. Piano is only a half an hour and dance is 45 minutes. 

He eats well and is not an overly picky kid and he takes a daily vitamin so I have no idea what the problem is. I took him to the pediatrician who said it's just the age and he is probably just having a growth spurt but she didn't do any blood work. 

I'm thinking maybe take him to someone else and get it done? Is this normal? It's been like this for a long time and if he doesn't sleep enough, he is just impossible to deal with. He doesn't really have any friends in this neighborhood so he is alone a lot. I was sending him to an after school program because I thought maybe he just wasn't playing with kids and was sleeping out of boredom but it seemed to make it worse. He performs well in dance but when we get home it's a whinefest until 8 o'clock.

I'm getting really concerned.

by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hashtagRC
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:45 AM
Low iron? Sorry I am really no help here, my kid has more energy than Richard Simmons. Bump!
ame85
by Chemistry cat on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:47 AM
I was going to suggest iron as well. Many children's vitamins don't have it.
Childofares
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:48 AM

That is what I thought. I'm anemic so I thought maybe he is too. When I suggested it my peditrician kind of shrugged it off. It was always my understanding that anemia was hereditary

Quoting hashtagRC: Low iron? Sorry I am really no help here, my kid has more energy than Richard Simmons. Bump!

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:49 AM
I would demand a blood test if low iron is not the issue then it could be sleep apnea
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:50 AM
Are you sure he sleeps the whole night?
Childofares
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:52 AM

I'm sure. I only sleep 4 hours a day so I'm usually up all night and I check on him constantly. Once in a while he will get up and go to the bathroom but he goes right back to sleep.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Are you sure he sleeps the whole night?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:52 AM
Have his hemoglobin and iron checked. He may be anemic.
hashtagRC
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:52 AM
I would try to boost his iron for a week or two and see how he is at the end before making him go through the stress of a blood draw. My son recently had one done and was absolutely horrified and looked right in my eyes and begged me to make them stop until they were finished, he's 5. I felt like the worst mother in the world he was so afraid. I really have never felt so awful.

Quoting Childofares:

That is what I thought. I'm anemic so I thought maybe he is too. When I suggested it my peditrician kind of shrugged it off. It was always my understanding that anemia was hereditary

Quoting hashtagRC: Low iron? Sorry I am really no help here, my kid has more energy than Richard Simmons. Bump!

Childofares
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:53 AM

I think my son will be OK. He had blood drawn a few months ago for allergy tests and he thought it was cool lol

Quoting hashtagRC: I would try to boost his iron for a week or two and see how he is at the end before making him go through the stress of a blood draw. My son recently had one done and was absolutely horrified and looked right in my eyes and begged me to make them stop until they were finished, he's 5. I felt like the worst mother in the world he was so afraid. I really have never felt so awful.
Quoting Childofares:

hashtagRC
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:56 AM
Omg hooow!!! My son is terrified of doctors in a bad way. I'm a little jealous lol. Well request the blood draw then, hopefully it is just iron or a growth spurt of some sort. Some kinds of anemia may be hereditary, doctors are lazy these days. Gotta ask if you want something.

Quoting Childofares:

I think my son will be OK. He had blood drawn a few months ago for allergy tests and he thought it was cool lol

Quoting hashtagRC: I would try to boost his iron for a week or two and see how he is at the end before making him go through the stress of a blood draw. My son recently had one done and was absolutely horrified and looked right in my eyes and begged me to make them stop until they were finished, he's 5. I felt like the worst mother in the world he was so afraid. I really have never felt so awful.

Quoting Childofares:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)