Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

switching schools mid year ?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 7:05 AM
  • 5 Replies
We are moving to a new county. Its not far but my son won't be able to attend the same school. He was attending a very high income level school. All the parents were wealthy, they constantly did activities that were costly. I honestly couldn't keep up the amount of money for things they were always doing. We are pretty middle class so I made sure my son got the shirts , the trips ect. Maybe didn't buy the roast for fundraisers but I bought all we could.
Now we are moving and the school is much smaller. He will be in a much lower income based school. All kids eat free lunch there because over a certain percentage qualifies for free lunches. So while it might not be as draining on me I worry the school won't be as good. I am stressing the move now. I just want to be happy and enjoy school. I am afraid the bus won't pick him up or drop him off because he is new. I am worried he will be behind.
Anyone been through this and have any tips to help him adjust quickly?
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 7:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
StoicLife
by Katerina on Jan. 20, 2015 at 7:10 AM
My mom was army, dad was government so we moved every 2 years. I've never had any issues with adjusting.
motherofzandz
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:15 PM

Quoting StoicLife: My mom was army, dad was government so we moved every 2 years. I've never had any issues with adjusting.

He is turning 7 next week and so sensitive I worry its gonna be too much forr him. I also have mommy guilt thats its not as good of a school. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:20 PM
We just did the opposite and moved from low income to upper middle class. I will not lie to you. The school is so much better here. The kids are nicer, better supervised, and no longer try to steal my dd's toys. I never want to go back to where we were. The school itself has better programs, teachers, and better classroom support.
motherofzandz
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:06 PM
That's what I worry about. My sons school is very clean. New building. New equipment. This new school isn't far away but its totally the opposite. We are also switching from a class where they are share supplies. To a classroom where they don't. Which means I will not be getting any of his supplies back but will have to buy new of everything. I know I am over stressing it but its hard not to. I just want him to have the best and while our new house is amazing , the school falls short.

Quoting Anonymous 1: We just did the opposite and moved from low income to upper middle class. I will not lie to you. The school is so much better here. The kids are nicer, better supervised, and no longer try to steal my dd's toys. I never want to go back to where we were. The school itself has better programs, teachers, and better classroom support.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:20 PM
We had to buy supplies too for the new school. Honestly, my dd adjusted quickly. She's 8. At their age, friends are easier to make.

Quoting motherofzandz: That's what I worry about. My sons school is very clean. New building. New equipment. This new school isn't far away but its totally the opposite. We are also switching from a class where they are share supplies. To a classroom where they don't. Which means I will not be getting any of his supplies back but will have to buy new of everything. I know I am over stressing it but its hard not to. I just want him to have the best and while our new house is amazing , the school falls short.

Quoting Anonymous 1: We just did the opposite and moved from low income to upper middle class. I will not lie to you. The school is so much better here. The kids are nicer, better supervised, and no longer try to steal my dd's toys. I never want to go back to where we were. The school itself has better programs, teachers, and better classroom support.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)