Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

mixing chocolate and medicine?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
My 3 year old REFUSED to take her antibiotic this morning. She cut her foot and now its infected despite me doing everything I can to prevent it. So she is on cephalexon. Short of holding her down and forcing it down her throat (which I am NOT going to do) I couldn't get her to take it. So I melted a couple of Hershey kisses and mixed it in then let it harden. She ate it NO problem whatsoever. My dh is freaking out. He said that I shouldn't have done that. That I should've forced her to take it, even if it meant holding her down. What say you? It was effective. Therebwaznt a fight to take it. Sometimes we have to get creative!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:45 AM
2 moms liked this
I did that when my youngest son had to take Tamiflu. I dissolved it in chocolate syrup and voila.
Tell your husband to carefully remove the stick out his ass. The important thibg is to get that medicine in her body.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

If my choices are to hide something in candy, or to basically sit on my kid, pry her mouth open, avoid getting bitten or head butted, then (I assume its liquid) squirt meds in her mouth, cover her mouth so she can't spit it out and pray she swallows it and it doesn't come out her nose...

I would pick candy every single time

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Personally, I would have just held her down. She needs to learn that if she needs medicine, she doesn't get a choice. IMO by sneaking it in the chocolate, you are just teaching her that if she refuses to do something you will back down.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:47 AM
May try that next time. Or mix it with chocolate pudding.

Quoting momto2boys973: I did that when my youngest son had to take Tamiflu. I dissolved it in chocolate syrup and voila.
Tell your husband to carefully remove the stick out his ass. The important thibg is to get that medicine in her body.
paTrollDog
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:48 AM
Nooo. Your way was way better!!
paTrollDog
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:48 AM
Yes!

Quoting Anonymous 2:

If my choices are to hide something in candy, or to basically sit on my kid, pry her mouth open, avoid getting bitten or head butted, then (I assume its liquid) squirt meds in her mouth, cover her mouth so she can't spit it out and pray she swallows it and it doesn't come out her nose...

I would pick candy every single time

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:49 AM
I get that. I really do, but she is already hurting from the cut on her foot. And she is only 3. I didn't want to traumatize her anymore than she already is.

Quoting Seagodess:

Personally, I would have just held her down. She needs to learn that if she needs medicine, she doesn't get a choice. IMO by sneaking it in the chocolate, you are just teaching her that if she refuses to do something you will back down.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:50 AM
Sounds brilliant to me
dragonborn
by Wonderstruck on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:52 AM
She I was a kid I had to take this medicine that looked like a purple smartie. So my mom would unwrap some and replace a few with my medicine. I wises up quick and it was years before I would eat purple ones again.
LibraBalance
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:53 AM
I've never ever thought of that. I mean I've done the mixing the forcing almost everything but melting chocolate and letting it harder back up. Genius!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)