Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this cruel?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

I have brought my new addition to the family home, a little 9 month old pug! His owners had no time to walk him or give him much attention so had to sell him. He's a lovely little dog, and he's been on lots of walks already. However he came with a dog crate with blankets in it, where the owner said he would sleep at night. 
I go to bed at 10 and wake at 7:30. Is this too much time for him to be put to bed in his crate? 
Where do you have your dogs sleep? I don't really want him upstairs yet as he is house trained but had three accidents since being here, I imagine due to unfamiliarity.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:20 AM

It's fine...if he is kennel trained, he will be fine as dogs see it as their den. 

We have a new puppy as well..she is 5 months old. Kerry is kennel trained, but Dh put her into our bed the first night and well...let's just say I have a 10 lb bed hog that sleeps up against me all night. LOL  She goes into her kennel if we are not home, but she sleeps with us at night. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:22 AM
My dog sleeps in her crate overnight. We go to bed around 10 and there's no set time that we wake up. During the week I mostly wake up when our baby does, around 8 or so. On the weekends my husband gets up around 7 and lets her out of the crate but she doesn't go outside until after our baby is up.
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:24 AM

That is fine.

My dog sleeps on the couch or in my room. Before she was potty trained we put her in the bathroom with a baby gate.

Andersonmomof3
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:49 AM
Crate training is not cruel and can help with house training. Puppy is either tethered to you, has your or another adult's full attention, or is in the crate. It's also nice when they have a safe place to get away from the chaos when they want to.
Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:51 AM

It's not too much time, if he's already crate trained. If he's not, then it should be done in shorter intervals until he gets used to it. However, if his previous owner crate trained him, then he should be fine.

Dogs actually like their crates. My puppy loves hers. She's in it from 10-11:00 at night until 6ish in the morning, and anytime we all leave the house (that's usually no more than an hour or two). They consider it a safe space. She'll go and lay in hers even when she doesn't have to, lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:52 AM
Before we potty trained our dog he slept in the crate after that in our bed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:59 AM
Crate training is perfectly acceptable. Unless you have an emotionally needy lab who must be touching a human in some way at all times or she gets nervous. I've never had a dog who didn't like their crate till now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)