Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher returns to job after video shows her dragging boy down hallway - Opinions?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:09 PM
  • 27 Replies

Updated: 8:47 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 20, 2015 | Posted: 8:47 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 20, 2015

LOUISVILLE, Ky. —

A teacher is back on the job after dragging a 6-year-old boy down a school hallway in Kentucky.

Surveillance video shows teacher Ashley Silas dragging the first grader to the principal’s office. Silas said the boy refused to walk on his own after being disruptive and threatening another student.

Silas was fired after the incident, but she filed an appeal. She told a review board that she wasn’t hurting the boy and that he, “enjoyed” sliding down the hall.

The review board reduced the teacher’s punishment to a suspension.

An attorney for the school said they didn’t want to hire Silas back, but the appeals systems left them no choice. 

by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:11 PM

I'm not sure. It doesn't look as if he was hurt, but the behavior was still unacceptable.

momaof8
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

homeschool I do

leksismommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:13 PM
I'm not sure about this.
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm single and have to work.  Thanks for your input.

Quoting momaof8:

homeschool I do

Emycf
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:17 PM
Well, seeing as how I have had to do that with a 5 year old at the day care....

I *hated* it because it felt mean, but the little boy laughed the whole way. He had refused to walk on his own but the class was leaving the room for gym. He had no choice but to come with us because obviously he couldn't be left in the room alone. *He* thought it was hilarious.

I really think the school is over reacting here. Have they never dealt with a bratty kid before?

Eta: I did not watch the video.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:18 PM

I can believe her story. Those floors looked REALLY shiny. The police would have been involved if he had been injured. She didn't give off aggressive vibes or looked like she was angry in any way. She was just trying to get an uncooperative kid from point A to point B. My kids would have been laughing the whole time. I understand the outrage, because dragging someone elses kid is politically incorrect. But is it worth her job? That's debatable.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:20 PM
If the kid was being a little brat then I fail to see what the issue is. It's not like she hurt him and he was tossing and turning around.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:20 PM
So that wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. He was sliding across a waxed floor on his knees. That's different than dragging a kicking and screaming kid across a carpeted floor.

As a Mom I wouldn't be ok with it and wouldn't let my child near that teacher again.
lunabella79
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:20 PM
This

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I'm not sure. It doesn't look as if he was hurt, but the behavior was still unacceptable.

Rhodin
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:21 PM
DD4 likes being dragged. I'd never only drag by one arm, though. That's just asking for a sprain. I always use both hands and under the armpits, the way a firefighter would drag someone.. No derping on my phone while doing it, either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)