Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh great!!

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:32 PM
  • 17 Replies

Ok, first off.. everybody knows I've been having problems with my husband lately.  But I'm curious on what would happen if we got a divorce for some reason.  I don't have a job because my DH said he didn't want me to work.  He's paying for the house & everything.  He said that if anything happened to us that he would get the house because he's paying for it.  Well my grandma's the one that bought the house for us to live in & idk if she would want him living in the house she bought for me & him to live in.  But I'm afraid that if we got a divorce that he would get custody of my daughter just because he's working & can pay for everything & I don't want that.  Finding a job around here is extremely difficult, but I would try to find one somehow.  I would probably end up living with my parents or somebody else to try to help me.  My DH couldn't take care of my daughter because he can't even take care of her when I'm here at the house & I gotta go to the bathroom or something because whenever she starts crying or something, it's like he gets mad & says "Shew, Lord God Kenzie!" & he has a very difficult time dealing with her.  He passes her off to me every chance he gets anymore & he acts like if anything happened to us that he would get custody of her because he would have a house & a job.  I don't want somebody else raising my daughter.  And no, I'm NOT LAZY!!!  I will work if I can find a job somehow.  

by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
supermama322
by Kaylee on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:36 PM
Geez...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:37 PM

Why would he even file for custody if he doesn't want to take care of her?

Mahonwife09
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:41 PM

Idk.  I'm guessing because he wants to be around her all the time because he didn't get the chance to be a part of his other daughters life that much when she was growing up.  He would have to find somebody to take care of her while he works & honestly, I don't want somebody else taking care of my daughter.  I want to do it if at all possible.  I love my baby & I don't wanna lose her. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

embrigmom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Just because he has a job and the house does not mean he'd get custody. I was a SAHM and full time collage student when I left my ex. He had always told me the same thing that he'd get custody, but he was wrong I have custody. In most states it doesn't go on weather or not you work or have your own place. I had moved in with my mom and I got custody and he has visitation.

Now I don't know about what would happen with the house, but I would think if your grandmother bought it for you then there would be a chance you would get it.But I'm just not sure.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:44 PM
Whose name is on the deed?
nmkj
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:45 PM
Start looking for work now. Don't wait.
LyTe684
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:46 PM
What a messed up situation. He's controlling. My advice to you is to get a job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:53 PM

Well, the judge will most likely not be stupid. They will look at who gives the child the most care. If you have a stable place to live and are adamant about finding a job, I have a hard time believing they will give sole custody to your DH/ex.

Quoting Mahonwife09:

Idk.  I'm guessing because he wants to be around her all the time because he didn't get the chance to be a part of his other daughters life that much when she was growing up.  He would have to find somebody to take care of her while he works & honestly, I don't want somebody else taking care of my daughter.  I want to do it if at all possible.  I love my baby & I don't wanna lose her. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Mahonwife09
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:57 PM

My mom told me the same thing, that he wouldn't get custody because he would have to prove me to be an "unfit mother" & my mom said that she knows I'm not an unfit mother at all.  I do everything I can do to take care of my daughter.  I could deal with it if he got the house instead of me but I just don't want him to get custody of my daughter.  He can have the house if he wants it but I want my daughter because I know I can take care of her since I've been doing it all by myself for the most part anyway ever since she's been born.   

Quoting embrigmom:

Just because he has a job and the house does not mean he'd get custody. I was a SAHM and full time collage student when I left my ex. He had always told me the same thing that he'd get custody, but he was wrong I have custody. In most states it doesn't go on weather or not you work or have your own place. I had moved in with my mom and I got custody and he has visitation.

Now I don't know about what would happen with the house, but I would think if your grandmother bought it for you then there would be a chance you would get it.But I'm just not sure.

Mahonwife09
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:00 PM

I'm not 100% sure.  I think my grandmothers name is on the deed where she's the one that bought the house.  

Quoting Anonymous 2: Whose name is on the deed?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)