Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to lose weight after surviving an ED

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
I've been recovered for several years now, with a couple of brief relapses (more in mindset than action).

I'm overweight and nearing obese now. I just don't know how to gradually increase my exercise so I don't end up where I was before. My ED was athletic anorexia. Calorie restriction with outrageous exercise routines.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:00 PM
I was anorexic as well. I never know how to lose weight safely. I'm starting to lose weight again and not in a healthy way. Whenever I try a healthy way, I get discouraged by the slow weight loss.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:00 PM

What about working with a dietician/nutritionist?  I'm recovering bulimic and I had to have help when I was caught up in the ED.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:01 PM
Therapy
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:06 PM

For me, I up my walking every two weeks. I start out with a mile and a half, then increase half a mile every two weeks. This doesn't strain the body and your normal eating habbits wont be effected. 

If I increase too fast, I slip back into my ED, where I just wont eat. There for a while I fast walked four miles a day (I got my walk so quick, I walked the four miles in under 20 minutes, I can't jog so I had to push to walk that fast), would drink so much water that my stomach was always "full" and would normally eat only once a day. I gained more weight and that finally got me to stop. Now I set a reminder/timer for every two weeks with small increases, half a pound more, half a mile more, etc. keeping me from increasing too much. 

For me, I found I naturally will increase my food when I do slow increases in working out. I also keep on hand more easily snackable good for me foods, ones that will help repair my body and boost my energy. Having these easily accessable means I am snacking on them instead of not eating. I keep them portioned and on hand so I don't over snack on them also. (had that problem once..... Never over ate like that before, and have been working to make sure it doesn't happen again.)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:12 PM
I've done therapy. Discovered the roots of my problem and dealt with those, though I'm still afraid that really getting active will cause an unhealthy snowball.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Therapy
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:14 PM
I can't afford that. The problem isn't my intake, my intake and portions are healthy. It's just that I have trouble exercising because I never really learned how to do so in a healthy way.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

What about working with a dietician/nutritionist?  I'm recovering bulimic and I had to have help when I was caught up in the ED.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:14 PM
I'm going to look up some gradual increase exercise programs and start following them religiously.

Quoting Anonymous 5:

For me, I up my walking every two weeks. I start out with a mile and a half, then increase half a mile every two weeks. This doesn't strain the body and your normal eating habbits wont be effected. 

If I increase too fast, I slip back into my ED, where I just wont eat. There for a while I fast walked four miles a day (I got my walk so quick, I walked the four miles in under 20 minutes, I can't jog so I had to push to walk that fast), would drink so much water that my stomach was always "full" and would normally eat only once a day. I gained more weight and that finally got me to stop. Now I set a reminder/timer for every two weeks with small increases, half a pound more, half a mile more, etc. keeping me from increasing too much. 

For me, I found I naturally will increase my food when I do slow increases in working out. I also keep on hand more easily snackable good for me foods, ones that will help repair my body and boost my energy. Having these easily accessable means I am snacking on them instead of not eating. I keep them portioned and on hand so I don't over snack on them also. (had that problem once..... Never over ate like that before, and have been working to make sure it doesn't happen again.)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:15 PM
Can you plan to check in with your therapist once a month or so as you work on your weight to make sure you aren't experiencing any triggers or backtracking?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I've done therapy. Discovered the roots of my problem and dealt with those, though I'm still afraid that really getting active will cause an unhealthy snowball.

MicheleJM
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:16 PM
I flat out don't weigh myself. Otherwise I too will get discouraged. I emphasize healthy eating, weight training, and staying active. I will monitor my strength and endurance. But I refuse to weigh myself and if I'm at the doctors I will say i don't want to know.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I was anorexic as well. I never know how to lose weight safely. I'm starting to lose weight again and not in a healthy way. Whenever I try a healthy way, I get discouraged by the slow weight loss.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:19 PM
I see her regularly already, so that wouldn't be a problem. I just don't know where to start with healthy exercise. My old exercise was "start running when you get off work at 9pm, run until your knees shake, go home, do pushups until you can't feel your fingertips, crawl into bed."

Quoting Anonymous 4: Can you plan to check in with your therapist once a month or so as you work on your weight to make sure you aren't experiencing any triggers or backtracking?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I've done therapy. Discovered the roots of my problem and dealt with those, though I'm still afraid that really getting active will cause an unhealthy snowball.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)