Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever gone on vacation for the whole summer?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:47 PM
  • 33 Replies
My grandmother wants to get a beach house for the summer. Family will come up throughout the summer but she asked me if I'd like to bring the kids and stay with her all summer.

We're only like 3hrs from the beach so dh coukd come up on weekends. I'd need to work once every 30 days at my PT job to stay on payroll.

I think it'll be fun-dh is on board too bc I really want to spend time with my grandmother and I really want my son to have some of the experiences I did with her when I was little. She's in good health but she's in her 80s and with my grandfather passing it's hammered home she won't be around forever.

Have you ever done a summer long vacation? I figured we'd split the cost of the house with her and buy groceries-we won't be going out to eat every meal. I think this is kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity for ds-to "live" at the beach for like 3 months.
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ame85
by Chemistry cat on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:48 PM

No, but that sounds AMAZING.  Do you have room for a pregnant lady and two more kids??

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:49 PM
Yes, we have a second home in the mountains in Colorado and spend several weeks there during the winter and summer.
spooky415
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:51 PM
I wonder how big the place is going to be. She was hoping EVERYONE would be there at some point...so that's like 18 people.

Quoting ame85:

No, but that sounds AMAZING.  Do you have room for a pregnant lady and two more kids??

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:51 PM
When I was a twacher, yes. That was the one good thing about that job - to have the whole summer off. Lol.
spooky415
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:52 PM
I'm wondering if she's goig to consider buying a vacation home for the family. She's mentioned it a few times, even a couple years ago. It probably wouldn't be big enough for all of us at once if she did.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Yes, we have a second home in the mountains in Colorado and spend several weeks there during the winter and summer.
spooky415
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:53 PM
I only work PT so I can work as little or as often as I want. And in the summer hours usually get cut anyway.

Quoting Anonymous 2: When I was a twacher, yes. That was the one good thing about that job - to have the whole summer off. Lol.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:54 PM

No, longest vacation I ever took was 3 weeks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:54 PM
You should definitely go!! It sounds fabulous! And just a little crazy in a good way :)

Quoting spooky415: I only work PT so I can work as little or as often as I want. And in the summer hours usually get cut anyway.

Quoting Anonymous 2: When I was a twacher, yes. That was the one good thing about that job - to have the whole summer off. Lol.
spooky415
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:57 PM
She's gotten a house for the month before. They used to do that when I was little.

I wonder if she'll be bored after a month. I guess not. She likes to just sit outside so she can walk to the beach and sit there.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

No, longest vacation I ever took was 3 weeks.

spooky415
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:58 PM
I'm getting excited. She wants a house that overlooks the water. Idk of that means ocean view or bayview.

Ocean would be AWESOME.

Quoting Anonymous 2: You should definitely go!! It sounds fabulous! And just a little crazy in a good way :)

Quoting spooky415: I only work PT so I can work as little or as often as I want. And in the summer hours usually get cut anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)