Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So gross (fast food related)

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:25 PM
  • 30 Replies

Poll

Question: Fast food french fries

Options:

Hell Yeah

Sometimes

No Freaking Way

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 38

View Results

This Is How McDonald's Fries Are Made, According To McDonald's

Once again, host Grant Imahara of "Mythbusters" fame leads the way, asking the plant manager the one question McDonald's customers have asked themselves: "Are the fries even made out of potatoes?" And furthermore, "Are they ground up and mushed into the fry shape?"

Here's how McDonald's fries made, from start to finish freezing:

Step 1: Potatoes are transferred from the farm to the potato plant.

Step 2: The potatoes are cut.

Step 3: Ingredients are dipped to "control color, add dextrose and sodium acid pyrophosphate."

Step 4: Potatoes are partially fried for a "crisp, outer shell."

Step 5: Potatoes go into a "frozen tunnel" for freezing, then are sent to McDonald's stores.

There are a few fun takeaways from this video, like the fact that McDonald's shoots potatoes through a cutting device at 60-70 mph. But there are also a few less-than-awesome moments.

Dextrose (aka sugar) is added to McDonald's fries, as is sodium acid pyrophosphate to limit the "greying" of fries after freezing. And despite the "farm-to-table" approach this video takes, similar to the one McDonald's Canada tried in 2012, fries are still not healthy for you, with a small order of fries coming in at 230 calories and 11 grams of fat. So no matter how great the fries look, they're still not great for your diet.

Want to read more from HuffPost Taste? Follow us on Twitter,FacebookPinterest and Tumblr.

I knew they weren't healthy or fresh obviously but I had no idea how they were processed. I just find this so gross. I'm not a health nut or anything but I like to cut my own potatoes and bake my fries at home and they taste so much better than fast food junk. 

Anyway I made a post on my Facebook and one of my friends is vehemently defending McDonald's french fries. 

This is what she said and tbh that whole description sounds gross to me. idk what are your thoughts on this Fast food fries yes, no, sometimes?

Quote:

I don't get what's gross. They bring the potatoes from the farm, cut them up, spray them with a water, salt and sugar solution, partially cook them, freeze them and send them to the restaurant. That said they aren't very good if they are not made fresh. But to each his own.

by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DensHag
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:28 PM
I'm not really a French fry fan...and I hate McDonalds. I think their food all tastes the same--gross. Way to processed for me.
funny_girl3
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:32 PM

McDonalds food is gross, but I don't understand why you are grossed out by this.  Your friend is right, as far as processed food goes, this isn't that bad.  Not that I'm advocating french fries, but there are preservatives out there that worry me more.

angelachristine
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:35 PM

Well she was shocked that I think that's gross. I mean they skin them and spray them down then partially cook them, freeze them and ship them off to be cooked in god knows what kind of nasty oil and then covered in more salt. Doesn't sound appetizing to me at all. Yeah they could be covered with worse stuff but it sounds bad enough to me.

Quoting funny_girl3:

McDonalds food is gross, but I don't understand why you are grossed out by this.  Your friend is right, as far as processed food goes, this isn't that bad.  Not that I'm advocating french fries, but there are preservatives out there that worry me more.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:35 PM

I can't eat McDonald's fries I will shit my brains out.

crescentstar2
by expecto patronum on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:37 PM
Anytime I tried to eat fast food I get sick. So I just stopped and I'm happier for it
TxMotherOf4
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:40 PM
Yum!!

I liked them better when they used animal fat in there somewhere.
.PinkSunshine.
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I like Wendy's fries. McD's fries don't taste good like they used to.

Fireball101586
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:44 PM

the only fast food place who's FF I will eat is 5 Guys, they are cut and made fresh right there in the place, just like I do at home.

luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:45 PM
My husband worked for one of the companies that made their fries. None if this is news to me and everything is about moderation.
PrincessKarma
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:45 PM

ew nice to know though. i still would. sometimes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)