Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Was I too quick to judge?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

Before I had my daughter I worked in a daycare center and saw all different parenting styles. One thing that always bothered me though was the fact that parents would give their kids electronics to appease them. I saw it on a daily basis just out and about as well. I also saw how kids were glued to the TV all the time through family and friends. I used to shake my finger at them but now...I'm one of those moms...I think I was too quick to judge. In the store, if my daughter is screaming I absolutely give her my phone. I'd rather her play on that then bother everyone around us trying to shop. And I find myself letting her play with electronics and watching tv more than I probably should. But she's just entering that age (20 months) where all of this is new to her so she's super interested which has given me a minute to breathe when she's watching Mickey Mouse or something. I have a feeling I'm going to have a hard time balancing it though. Was anyone else too quick to judge? I really feel like a horrible mom for it some days =[

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:43 PM

BUMP!

sdtoga
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:44 PM
We all do it SOMETIMES.
Emlly
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:46 PM

I think we've all judged someone else a little too harshly before we became parents or dealt with a situation in which we realized people probably wouldn't approve of the solution. Granted, I do judge some parenting styles, but otherwise I'm pretty okay with how parents are raised so long as they are loved, happy, and healthy. There was one time my DD was getting over a nasty bout of strep throat, so she was pretty much on a popsicle and chicken broth diet for a solid two weeks (her Dr. said it was fine.) We went out to a restaurant and she ordered ice cream for dinner. It wasn't until about a month later that I realized that we had been getting strange looks from the family next to us. 

I guess my policy is do what works for you. 

Ashleeduhh
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:48 PM
Eh I don't see the big deal at all. DD watches educational tv anf she has a tablet. She only pays attention to them a few hrs a day total. Mostly she does imagination games and runs around. We play board games, she does crafts. I watched tv as a kid. Still do. I'll never understand how people act like it's a big deal. And the tablet is a God send at the grocery store or in the car for long trips.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:48 PM
If my kid was throwing a fit in the store there's no way in hell I would reward thwm by giving them my phone. My son just lost all his electronics for 3 days for sneaking my old phone they play on into his bed with him. The only thing he's allowed to touch a phone for is to call or text his dad.
Mrs_Boho
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:49 PM
Its easy to balance. My dd 3 earns her time by doing what is expected of her.

I'd never let her use it if she was screaming (just to make her stop) its kind of backwards IMO. My dd has to behave, then I'll give her, her tablet or her phone to play with, but her behavior has to be up to my standards first.

Same as at home for TV, or computer time. I also do not allow it 1 hr 30 min before bed time.

I only judge those that i know on a personal level, have i ever been quick to judge, sure i think everyone has atsome point in time.
ame85
by Chemistry cat on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:50 PM

My DS plays an alphabet train game on my phone occasionally and it has helped him IMMENSELY. He knows all his letters and can count to 30 by himself so I figure it's ok.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)