Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you garden...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

How did you start out?  DH and I will be getting our own house soon and we have some homesteading plans.  The idea of gardening throws me for a loop.  How do you determine how much to plant?  I don't just want fresh vegetables; I want to be able to freeze, can, and dry them too for long term storage. 

What about starting seeds indoors?  Is that necessary?  How do you plan your garden to get food as near to year-round as possible?  Greenhouses?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AvantGardener
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:43 AM

I start my seeds in doors. We actually just started some last week. That being said it sounds like you aspire to be a much more serious gardener than I am. It took me some time to get the hang of it so I started small, and expand a little each year.

balagan_imma
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:45 AM
We start seeds indoors around this time of year. We also built a cold box and have spinach and lettuce growing in there now. Last year it was a hoop house and the rabbits kept helping themselves. The cold frame is a little more bunny proof.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I have big plans, but am definitely going to start very small so that I can actually manage it.  Ultimate plans include a garden, raising rabbits for food, having a pair of dairy goats, chickens for eggs and meat, and possibly a beehive.

Quoting AvantGardener:

I start my seeds in doors. We actually just started some last week. That being said it sounds like you aspire to be a much more serious gardener than I am. It took me some time to get the hang of it so I started small, and expand a little each year.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:47 AM

Do you have links about cold boxes and hoop houses?  I'll eat the crap out of spinach.

Quoting balagan_imma: We start seeds indoors around this time of year. We also built a cold box and have spinach and lettuce growing in there now. Last year it was a hoop house and the rabbits kept helping themselves. The cold frame is a little more bunny proof.

Peaceful.chaos
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:48 AM
I'm currently in the same boat. I got a greenhouse for Christmas and I'm terrified I'm going to be an awful gardener. I have lofty aspirations of growing all my own vegetables.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OrangeBalloon
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:48 AM

I would have a small garden to start with. Sometimes if a plant does really well they can keep producing. Like a squash or a zucchini will keep making more as you harvest. When you want the plant to stop you stop harvesting and let them go to seed. Other things are a pain and you dont' want to plant a whole bunch of something and kill yourself only for it to do poorly. Beans can be like that. So start small and figure out what grows well for you and then you can expand your garden as you become more comfortable. 

AvantGardener
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:48 AM

Yeah, I started with a few flowers. The first year I killed everything in 3 months. The second year I did better. The third year I did veggies with my flowers, and now I have a pretty green thumb. I think I'm on year 5 or 6 though. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I have big plans, but am definitely going to start very small so that I can actually manage it.  Ultimate plans include a garden, raising rabbits for food, having a pair of dairy goats, chickens for eggs and meat, and possibly a beehive.

Quoting AvantGardener:

FrumpyPigSkin
by Don't Burn The Pig on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:50 AM
I got a lot of information off of Pinterest. You can make boards for composting. Boards for layout and design. Boards for starting seeds indoors. You get the idea.
balagan_imma
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:50 AM
I don't really. DH saw something one day and bought garden spikes, pic tubing and plastic and built the hoop house. For the cold frame we bought an old door from the Habitat Restore and built something to size. In both models we dug 5 gallon buckets into the ground and keep them filled. I bet Pinterest would have something.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Do you have links about cold boxes and hoop houses?  I'll eat the crap out of spinach.

Quoting balagan_imma: We start seeds indoors around this time of year. We also built a cold box and have spinach and lettuce growing in there now. Last year it was a hoop house and the rabbits kept helping themselves. The cold frame is a little more bunny proof.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:51 AM

Do you grow the flowers for any purpose besides looking pretty?  The only plants at all that I'm looking to grow are ones that I can use.

Quoting AvantGardener:

Yeah, I started with a few flowers. The first year I killed everything in 3 months. The second year I did better. The third year I did veggies with my flowers, and now I have a pretty green thumb. I think I'm on year 5 or 6 though. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting AvantGardener:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)