Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to ask for money...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

How do I ask for money without starting a fight?

Me, my husband, and our kids had to live with his parents a few years back. My MIL, FIL, BIL, me, my husband and our kids were in the house. MIL and FIL were on disability, BIL had no job, and my husband had no job. I had a job and was going to school. MIL and FIL asked me to help pay bills. I had no problem with that. However, I ended up becoming pregnant and was trying to save for both my new baby and for a place for my family. However, my MIL expected me to pay her almost every penny that I earned and then when I ran out of money, wondered what I spent all my money on and then would harass me to pawn my stuff so she could do what she wanted, whether that be shopping or getting her hair and nails done twice a week...

A week before I was to have the baby, I moved to my mom's house and with my last check, I had just enough to buy some diapers and a pack n play. I got bitched out by my FIL by him saying that "the baby wasn't here yet" and "we needed that money for the electric bill"... okay... they spend about 450 bucks a month on cigs alone... not to mention all the money my MIL spent at the salon. And also, my FIL was able to spend money on a guitar and amp, yet they couldn't pay their bills? It was my last check which was only about $140 and I highly doubt that would've really helped. I wasn't going to have income for like two to three months after I had the baby so how would they have afforded everything anyway? Needless to say, they got kicked out a few weeks after I left and of course, blamed me...

Let's fast forward to about three months ago... My inlaws were living in intown suites and got approved for an apartment in February because it was still under construction. They could not afford both the payments to intown suites and make their down deposit on the apartment so we let my MIL, FIL, BIL and his gf move in. The past three months they have not really paid for anything... I have had to provide all toilettres, household items, bills, and my own food. They do have food stamps so they had their own food, which I never ate, yet most of it would go bad and they'd eat what I bought. My MIL HELPED with one electric bill but that was it. Both my water and electric have gone up about 3 times because of so many people here. Not to mention, someone ordered stuff on my Comcast so that made the TV and internet bill go up as well.

They are moving out in 4 days and I really need some help. I have had to take out loans to pay my bills because of them, and my MIL even said she EXPECTED money from our tax refund... (yes, that post was from me...)

Okay, so how do I ask my MIL, FIL, BIL and his gf that I expect some money from them for the past three months of putting a roof over their head, basically free of charge? I don't want to start a fight but I do expect some money from them.... 

So how could you ask to guarantee they'll pay and not start a fight, especially since this is not just paying them back for putting a roof over my head since I actually had to pay them for bills? (These people say they are Christians yet they love acting like monkeys by trying to fist fight and shit... smh)

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadiasMomma
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:04 AM
It's not going to happen so don't waste your breath.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Why do you say that?

Quoting SadiasMomma: It's not going to happen so don't waste your breath.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:08 AM
Yeah, I don't see it happening. Why are you paying for everything for all of these people?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:09 AM
I think you can't. I mean you can ask but I can't see it going well. This should have been worked out at the beginning not when it's time for them to move out.
ame85
by Chemistry cat on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh, honey. Ask all you want, they will not pay you.

Unfortunately, by not charging them for the months they've been there, you've set a precedent for free room and board. Honestly, I'd have taken each bill, divided it into shares, and posted each person's share for that month on the fridge.

That doesn't do you much good now. And they'll act insulted you asked them for money.

As for your tax return, no, they have zero claim to any portion of it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:10 AM

I mean, that's just common sense... if they won't allow free-loaders in their home, why would they think I would?

Quoting Anonymous 3: I think you can't. I mean you can ask but I can't see it going well. This should have been worked out at the beginning not when it's time for them to move out.

SadiasMomma
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:11 AM
you just painted a picture of some terrible piece of shit people who have no money. that's why.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Why do you say that?

Quoting SadiasMomma: It's not going to happen so don't waste your breath.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DensHag
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:11 AM
You can ask but I'd be willing to bet they won't pay you squat. They sound like scummy freeloaders.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:12 AM

I didn't even know my BIL and his gf were moving in until a truck with all their shit backed into my driveway... I was furious and told them I never said they could be here. But for some reason, I guess since I'm so small, people don't think of me like an adult.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Yeah, I don't see it happening. Why are you paying for everything for all of these people?

brime98
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:12 AM
That should have been arranged before they moved in. If so, just ask when it will be paid. If not, then you already agreed to house them for free :(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)