Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think it is tacky to invite people to a wedding and have a cash bar.

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:13 AM
  • 343 Replies
5 moms liked this
I just would not do it. Your guests have rearranged their schedule, bought you a gift, gave you hours of their life, spent gas, bought an outfit amongst other thing that you sacrifice to attend a wedding. The very least you can do is provide foid and drink. If I could not afford to provide these basic courtesies, maybe you cannot afford a wedding.
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thetrollcat
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:14 AM
16 moms liked this

ya know I doubt 90% of the cafe members give a shit

sdtoga
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:16 AM
7 moms liked this
I give a shit. And I agree fully op.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:17 AM
10 moms liked this
The last wedding I went to had beer and wine. Hard liquor was a cash bar. I didn't care. I was there to have a grand ole time, not get shitfaced on hard liquor.
eadyT
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I've been to weddings that have a cash bar and some who provide all of the food and drinks. I've never thought much about it.
wbattistel2007
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Well the ones that don't will not reply. That is usually how that goes. I'm pretty okay with that.

Quoting thetrollcat:

ya know I doubt 90% of the cafe members give a shit

LauraBelle9812
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:21 AM
11 moms liked this
I had a cash bar because I have alcoholics in my family... And so does my husband... I was going to not have a bar what so ever because of this (my mom was a big drinker and the one I was worried about) but DHs family (happy fun alcoholics) would have lost there Damn mind. Plus I wanted champagne for me and dh. I don't think it's tacky. as long as soda and things like that are free what is the big deal?
Yum_Cupcakes
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:21 AM
20 moms liked this

It's not always about money. 

I think it's in bad taste to complain about another's wedding simply because you don't like how they choose to to plan their event. It's not about you or your need for booze, it's about the couple. 

corber2114
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:23 AM
2 moms liked this
If I do any type of bar at my wedding it'll be a cash bar because there's too many alcoholics in both me and DHs family, I will not allow them to all get shit faced at my wedding and mostly all them are mean and obnoxious drunks so that would not mix well..
ncbirdie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:24 AM
11 moms liked this

I think it's tacky to expect alcohol at weddings.  And hard liquor is expensive.  Depending on how many guests there are, expecting them to pay for an open bar can be ridiculous.

wbattistel2007
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:26 AM
In you case I understand. Would you have done the same if the circumstances were different?

Quoting LauraBelle9812: I had a cash bar because I have alcoholics in my family... And so does my husband... I was going to not have a bar what so ever because of this (my mom was a big drinker and the one I was worried about) but DHs family (happy fun alcoholics) would have lost there Damn mind. Plus I wanted champagne for me and dh. I don't think it's tacky. as long as soda and things like that are free what is the big deal?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)