Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm not Immune to measles

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

I  live in rural northern California.   I had the test for measles Immunity after my daughter was born in 2004, it was negative.  I got the shot Jan 2005.  I had the test again in May 2007 after my son was born and it was negative again.  He died in June of SIDS same year.  I had another shot the week before he passed away.  In  2008 my second son was born, again the test said I wasn't I'mmune and the doc said I may be a person who it just doesn't  take in and to skip getting the shot again.  Now that they are all omg measles everywhere I'm wondering if I should get me n kids tested again, what if the kids aren't immune because I suck?  What would you do?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrimsonEleven
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:38 AM
Neither am I. I've been MMR vaccinated 5 times in my life and my titers are always negative for antibodies. A very small percentage of people do not illicit an immunological response to the vaccine. That's why I'm in favor of heard immunity.
CrimsonEleven
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:40 AM
Also, your immune system probably has no bearing on your children. If they were vaccinated, they are probably immune. It couldn't hurt to get titers drawn anyway, though.
HeavenonEarth81
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:42 AM

Don't panic, I'm the EXACT same way. I'm not immune to measles. Actually my whole MMR set didn't take. Doctors gave up. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:43 AM
Yup.. pretty common
CrimsonEleven
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:48 AM
No it isn't. Only 3-5% of those vaccinated fail to become immune to the disease.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Yup.. pretty common
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:49 AM

The county my in laws live in has its first case, and it's about an hour away.  I live on the major route north the Portland, about 40 min from the capital.. It's just a little scary to think about is all.  I'm glad I'm not alone thanks for the info.  Herd Immunity only will work if the stupid hippies vaccinate their kids imo.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this
You're scared of measles?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

The county my in laws live in has its first case, and it's about an hour away.  I live on the major route north the Portland, about 40 min from the capital.. It's just a little scary to think about is all.  I'm glad I'm not alone thanks for the info.  Herd Immunity only will work if the stupid hippies vaccinate their kids imo.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:47 PM

I am  worried I could have passed the measles vaccine resistance on to my ten and six year old and if I'm down the kids have to kinda fend for themselves because my husband is a long distance trucker and is home for a week every quarter or so.  Damn skippy I'm afraid of measles for my kids and me.

wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:51 PM

i was told in 1995 when I was tested with my last pregnancy that I needed to redo my Rubella. Since it wasn't an issue because Rubella wasn't around I didn't worry about it, but now I have Grandchildren who will be going to school in a few years so I guess I'm going to have to get the shot and plan to be sick as a dog for about 10 days.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 1, 2015 at 2:15 AM

I would do it and get tested afterward to make sure it worked.

Quoting wooly:

i was told in 1995 when I was tested with my last pregnancy that I needed to redo my Rubella. Since it wasn't an issue because Rubella wasn't around I didn't worry about it, but now I have Grandchildren who will be going to school in a few years so I guess I'm going to have to get the shot and plan to be sick as a dog for about 10 days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)